Chapter 4: Between Alphas

-Seventeen-

Kavin supposes that out of all his teen years, his seventeenth is his favorite, so far. He and Thyme were the 'it' Alpha-Omega couple in school, he was doing well in his academics, he had a lot of time for his friends, and to top it all off, he met an unexpected comrade in Kimhan. If he went back in time and told fourteen-year-old Kavin that, someday, he would be going on random grocery runs and spontaneous out-of-town trips and everything in between with his mate's twin brother, fourteen-year-old Kavin would probably laugh his ass off. But that was then, and this is now. 'Now' called for a fresh can of bug repellent, thermal-lined jackets and two insulated sleeping bags.

Kimhan had been buzzing with excitement for this hiking-slash-camping trip for weeks. This is the first overnight hike they would have, with the latter ones being day hikes only. This specific peak was famous for its scenic trail and a particularly picturesque view of the night skyline once you reach the route's designated vantage point. And while Kimhan could talk about nothing else but this particular trip, Kavin was still feeling queasy at the thought of roughing it out for one night with mother nature. He was a city boy, god damn it!

But just like how Kimhan tolerated Kavin's taste for overly greasy street food despite getting acid reflux right after, Kavin held a deep sense of responsibility in being Kimhan's go-to hiking buddy.

"It's like Stockholm Syndrome," Kavin whined one day right after they finished the downward climb of a particularly challenging trail. "This is an abusive situation."

Kimhan rolled his eyes in response. "You are getting exercise and a good dose of fresh air. Which part of you is abused?"

Kavin frowned, looking down at the angry, red blisters peeking through his sandal straps. "My poor feet."

"I told you to not wear those sandals."

"But they're pretty."

Kimhan sighed. "Take them off."

"And what? Walk barefoot and risk hurting my soles on top of hurting the tops of my feet? No thanks, I'll just grit my teeth and bear the pain, hey what are you -"

"Here," Kimhan said, interrupting Kavin's speech as he thrust a pair of sneakers in front of the latter's face. "Wear this."

"Those are your sneakers."

"Way to go for stating the obvious."

Warily, Kavin reached for the pair. "They do look comfortable." He said after a short cursory inspection.

"Of course they do. I pick my stuff based on functionality."

"They also look ugly."

"Are you wearing them or not?" Kimhan said, not bothering to wait for Kavin's response as he began to walk ahead of the latter. That's when Kavin noticed –

"Hey! You're barefoot!"

"Way to go for stating the obvious." Kimhan replied, not missing a beat.

"Won't your feet hurt?"

Kimhan turned back and sighed, "Don't worry about me." He said as he began to walk back the few steps to reach Kavin. Immediately he knelt on one knee in front of the other Alpha.

"Foot." Kimhan said, grabbing Kavin's left ankle, causing the other boy to grab Kimhan's hair for balance.

"Hey!"