Chapter 5: Pivot Shift

-Seventeen-

With an amused look on his face, Kimhan watched as Kavin tried (and failed) again to ignite a pile of branches that they would use for tonight's campfire. Taking a step back, Kimhan took a moment to observe the scene around him. They were situated a few feet before an incline, and as such, he had a good view of the area. Behind Kavin who was now cursing at a pile of dead leaves, the night sky was a dark indigo, a bright round moon and a smattering of stars illuminated the area around them. Leaves rustled quietly and night creatures flitted around as they went about their usual business. If Kimhan closes his eyes, he can hear the soft rushing of a nearby river. He would tell Kavin later that they need to visit it before they leave tomorrow. Suddenly, a cold breeze blew past the boy and he instinctively pulled his jacket tighter around himself. The mountain breeze had always felt good, especially now that it allowed the tear tracks on his cheeks to dry much quicker, but Kimhan was feeling a bit cold now and as such he walked towards Kavin to offer help in setting up their heat source.

"Need help?" Kimhan asked, to which Kavin only replied with a scowl.

"No. Go away, I can manage. Are you done with the tent?"

Kimhan rolled his eyes and gestured behind him where a fully erected tent stood. Their insulated sleeping bags were also ready now inside, if Kavin cared to look. The latter did look, and rewarded Kimhan with a scowl.

"Yeah okay, whatever, Bear Grylls."

That got a chuckle out of Kimhan. "I just pitched a tent. Nothing very survivalist about that. You're just a spoiled city boy who'd die the moment he's out of his fancy condo."

"I'm still alive, aren't I?" Kavin pointed out.

"Yes, and all thanks to me, might I add. Move over, Kavin, it's getting cold and that pile of branches is not going to light itself."

Grumbling every inch of the way, Kavin scooted over to give Kimhan space to work with. The branches went up in flames in less than five minutes and Kimhan flashed Kavin a wide grin.

"Now that's how you light a campfire!" Kimhan ribbed, never missing an opportunity to tease the other boy.

He expected to be teased back. He expected Kavin to shout indignantly that Kimhan just got lucky, or cheated, or that what he did was nothing special. What he didn't expect was the soft look on Kavin's face as the boy stared openly. Kimhan's heart skipped a beat. The moment lasted for a split second before Kavin rolled his eyes and stood up, dusting his pants, as he snorted that Kimhan was able to make a fire quickly because Kavin had been working on the branches earlier already.

Kimhan, heart in his throat, wonders if the fond expression that Kavin's eyes held earlier was just a trick of light.

Flames flickered to life and Kavin had initially wanted to give a snide comment on how he can do the same thing, when suddenly, Kimhan turned to him with a huge grin on his face

Flames flickered to life and Kavin had initially wanted to give a snide comment on how he can do the same thing, when suddenly, Kimhan turned to him with a huge grin on his face. The fire danced behind him, a hot orange-red, as sparks flew dangerously close. Kavin was unsure if the heat that suddenly travelled from his stomach to the apples of his cheeks was because of the fire or of something else all together.