Chapter 11: The First Heat

-Eighteen-

Kavin studied his reflection closely in the mirror, looking for any stray hairs rebelling from his brush-up and smoothing the wrinkles in his shirt. Finding his appearance to be satisfactory for the coming event, he picked up his phone and shot a quick message to the name at the top of his inbox.

"Kim, we're leaving in five minutes. Everything okay on your end?"

Kavin, as he usually does, stared at his screen impatiently until Kimhan's responded. He was about to send another text when the notification saying that Kimhan replied popped up. The boy sent two consecutive messages.

"We're literally just going to sit here and watch you ask for my brother's hand formally in bonding. Of course we're okay /eyeroll emoji/"

"What about you? Are you okay?"

Kavin smiled a bit at that and sent a selfie to the other boy. "Feeling fine." He texted, chuckling a bit after pressing the send button. He can almost see Kimhan's unimpressed face.

"Overconfident are you? Maybe my brother will knock his head at the last minute and realize what a huge asswipe you are. Fingers crossed, you won't be my brother-in-law after all."

A sardonic smile crossed Kavin's lips as he read the last text. Oh, if Kimhan only knew how much he wished for the same thing.

 Oh, if Kimhan only knew how much he wished for the same thing

For some reason he felt nervous.

Kavin had crossed the doorway of his mate's home countless times since they had met each other, but this was the first time he felt sick with anxiety. Even meeting Thyme's parents and Kimhan was nothing compared to this! He felt his palms become clammy, his heart pounding wildly inside his ribcage. And perhaps if he felt this when he was sixteen, he would have chalked it up to the excitement at being formally bonded to his mate.

But Kavin, at eighteen, understood himself better now. He reached for his phone inside his pocket.

"Hey, Kim?" He texted. The reply came within seconds.

"Hm?"

"Wish me luck?"

"Good luck, Kavin."

Hands no longer shaking, Kavin reached for the door.