Chapter 9: The Perfect Alpha's First Mistake

-Sixteen-

The thing with being exposed at your weakest, most vulnerable state is that one can't hate the person who helped you out. It's almost a year since Kavin had his first rut and the heat of Kimhan's thighs on his stiff member sometimes comes back to him in unnerving jolts and as a result he had become quick to dispel all thoughts of that night that approached the line between desire and propriety. It comes to him quick and sharp, surprising him in moments when he least expected. A warm hand would suddenly remind him of a burning touch. The smell of Thyme's sweater that he once adored, suddenly polluted by memories of Kavin's vulnerability.

He had come to the conclusion that it was the consequence of being indebted. It was unbecoming of an Alpha to have rolled belly-up in the presence of another which is why his system repeatedly brings up the memory as a masochistic sort of penance. What grinds at him more is that Kimhan seemed to be particularly unbothered about the whole thing. He still looked at Kavin with the same barely concealed disdain. Still refused to give Kavin a second more than what's needed. And what stung more is that Kavin, for all intents and purposes, generally liked Kimhan; but the feeling of being indebted, especially to someone who seemed to hate him, bothered Kavin to no end.

Which was why, for the past few months, Kavin had tried his best to even the score, working hard to find ways to help Kimhan even at a smaller magnitude in hopes that it might lessen the nagging voice in his head. It was a lucky break that Thyme let slip that Kimhan had a weakness and that was Nubdao.

Getting Kimhan to agree had been easy because Thyme was right. The boy was head over heels. And helping him out, Kavin decides, is just the thing that he himself needed. The feeling of imbalance over having owed someone a favor was gone now, the pressing desire to reciprocate in kind now subdued. He would still sometimes get flashbacks of that night, but Kavin firmly believes that those, too, would go away in time. But perhaps the icing on the cake on top of it all was the fact that Kimhan was substantially nicer to him now. Oh, they weren't bosom buddies, far from it. But now, Kavin can come and go to the twins' house without getting glared at or without the hourly snide remarks. He still did the odd favor here and there for Kimhan, though, since they're approaching something close to friendship now and it wouldn't hurt to remain on Kimhan's good side.

Kavin would have been content with this set-up, truth be told. Thyme seemed to be satisfied after all, and was that not the whole point of building a relationship with Kimhan in the first place? But then came the day that Kimhan actually approached him for help.

"It's my and P'Nubdao's first monthsary in a week's time." Kimhan said as he stood in front of Kavin awkwardly.

Kavin did not really know what to do with that information, but he did manage to blurt out a quick congratulations. It turned out that Kimhan wants Kavin's help in preparing something special for his girlfriend to which Kavin graciously obliged.

In hindsight, however, he probably shouldn't have.