• Chapter 6 • Bloody claws •

Some memories were hard to recall, others not at all, as if they happened few days ago.

Clary did not regret asking Magnus, but tears wet her cheeks while listening to the warlock.

-I didn't know she died after giving birth, Lucian told me and I offered him to put up the wards again, but he was devastated, he just wanted to keep the promise he made to your mother and take care of you.

-They loved each other a lot, right? I've heard Luke crying sometimes. -Clary's teary eyes looked at Magnus, while holding Luke's hand. At least he was sleeping.

Love... Magnus saw, experimented, hated and feared love. Of course Luke had loved Jocelyn Fairchild, and he'll do it every single day until the last.

-They never told each other so, they've never been together, but of course they loved each other. Lucian even asked me to erase his memories about her for easing the pain.

The thought of the family she could have had, made Clary feel bluer than before, unable to hold back his tears, while lying on the bed, next to Luke, like she did as a kid when she had nightmares.

-Why didn't you do it?

-Because those memories made him sad, but some day, he would be able to share them with you. We cannot just erase the past, you're part of Lucian's past, presentó and future. -Of course he knew Luke's surrow, but also the joy of remembering Jocelyn. -Clary, biscuit... I'll make sure he's fine. Don't you worry.

Magnus looked at her from the door, cat eyes gleaming in the darkness. That girl deserved better. He told himself he wouldn't get too involve, yet, he wanted so bad to reasure her. His father may believe compassion was a waist of time, Magnus couldn't agree with that, not after seeing Clary's smile after leaving the guests room.

The morning came, Magnus was the first one to wake up, or at least he thought so. Still sleepy, he got out of his room and went to the kitchen, where she found Clary.
That little red head was preparing coffee, for her, Magnus thought, but after noticing two cups, he tilted his head a bit.

-Magnus! Good morning, coffee? -Said instantly when she became aware of Magnus' presence.

Despite looking exhausted, she gifted Magnus a smile, and the warlock, snapping his fingers, filled the coffee cups. Clary still seemed surprised by his magic, like a kid with a new toy.

-Yes, I need seven cups minimum.

Oh, sure he was telling the truth. After saving Luke last night he was drained, so it took him just a minute to approach Clary and take one of the cups. She grinned, sitting on a chair, feeling her body warmer because of the coffee.

-How is Luke doing? -Magnus looked at her, leaning against the counter. Clary could see tiredness in his eyes despite makeup.

-He's been sleeping all night, I'm gonna change his bandages now.

-I'll go with you, gotta check his wound.

She nodded, looked at her cup and then at Magnus, curiously.
Conscious of that stare, Magnus stopped drinking.

-All right?

-Yeah, sorry... -She avoided looking at him, not wanting to make Magnus uncomfortable.

Thousands of people had looked at Magnus' in a wide variety of ways, he learned to identify every stare and knew Clary's wasn't one of fear or hatred.

-Your blondie boyfriend must be worried. You can go with him, and change your clothes. Bloody ones are not trendy anymore.

Somehow, that made Clary laugh.