thirty-five

They spent five days of looking for Mindstorm and found nothing. They still had like six other shacks to go through.

In this time, the bruises on her neck had started to turn yellow and the cut on her cheek was beginning to scab over. She felt better now or at least as well as she could be; Ben still worried though.

After looking for Mindstorm, they were now at a lonely park a little ways from the hotel. She sat on a swing and Ben sat beside her.

There had been a little girl there with her mother and she had come up asking for her autograph. The girl wore cute little pigtails.

"Of course you can," Jane replied and signed her shirt.

The girl looked at Ben before whispering, "Is this your Prince Charming?"

Jane smiled and put a hand up to shield her mouth as she whispered back like she was sharing a secret, "He likes to think he is....but do you think I should let him?"

The girl nodded enthusiastically, "He looks like a Prince Charming."

"Then I guess I'll just have to let him be, won't I?" Jane agreed.

"And then you'll get your happily ever after," the girl said before looking at her mother who was waving her over. "Do you think I'll get mine?"

"Of course you will," Jane responded with a soft smile.

The girl smiled before she ran off to her mother. And the civilians both left the park.

"I'm your Prince Charming," Ben smirked.

"Shut up," Jane said with a huff but she smiled. "Maybe."

He chuckled before he noted with soft look in his eyes, "You're good with kids."

Jane smiled sadly, "It doesn't matter, though."

"What do you mean?"

"Ben, why do you think we always have unsafe sex?" she said. "I'm sterile...because of Vought."

                  He blinked. Fuck, that made him furious. They'd taken her choice away.

                 "I'm so fucking sorry, Jane," he said.

                 "So when you imagine forever, you'll have to be satisfied with just me," she stated.

               "You're all I need, angel."

           She smiled slightly and they delved into silence. She slowly pushed herself back and forth on the swing with her foot before her smile turned sad, "You know I've never been on one of these. Ever."

              "What?" Ben asked in surprise. "How?"

               "I don't know. I guess I could've after I got out of the lab but....by that point, I just never thought of it," Jane answered. "And I was just...so busy."

               Busy being Vought's little princess and doing whatever they told her at all times. She hated to think back on it.

               He shook his head at the fact that Vought kept her from so much before he responded, "You can do whatever you fucking want with me, angel. Always."

              She smiled at him and her green eyes sparkled in the sunlight. His heart skipped a beat and he felt nervous.

              He'd never done a love confession before unless he counted when he was eleven and he saw Rose Knight for the first time; he told her he loved her right there and then...and she rejected him. He was just a kid then and didn't have his looks and he thought it was ironic because a couple years later when he hit puberty, every girl practically threw themselves at him, even, Rose Knight and he had enjoyed turning her down.