2

"I told you, Maria, either Tony and Stark Industries help us out with this deal or it doesn't happen... Tony's not afraid of this partnership he just wants me to beg. And he knows that I. Do not. Beg. Now set up the appointment," you barked into the phone.

You were already feeling the start of a migraine when you heard Avery's quiet voice, "you forgot to say please, mommy." Your head whipped around, your eyes softening immediately after landing on your daughter, she'd already gotten herself dressed for the first day of school. She was wearing her favorite pink unicorn shirt that you got her, it may have something to do with the fact you said it had power that would make her brave and strong. It seemed to be just what Avery needed to hear when she realized she'd be going to a class with a new teacher and new students.

"Please, Maria. We need this partnership to secure the deal. Just do what you can," you finished firmly, hanging up the phone in the process and turning to face your daughter.

What is it with kids looking like their father? You carried her for nine months, you made a bed next to the toilet for half of that, your body grew and shifted to grow her. And the universe had the audacity to have her come into the world with most of her father's features. She was the only good thing Brock Rumlow had contributed to your marriage. Luckily, you had insisted on her last name being L/N so that your company's future involved her, not Rumlow. This added more fuel to the fire.

What made the situation even more lucky was that you had signed an extensive prenup with Brock when the two of you had gotten engaged. You didn't see it then, you were head over heels with the smooth talking, flirtatious man. It took a few years of marriage and one child later to find out it was all a con. Especially when you walked in on him fucking the maid on your five thousand dollar couch. You settled on a custody agreement in the divorce, allowing Brock occasional weekend visits with Avery. He never showed. She was four.

Some would say you have no weaknesses. In fact, you knew the reputation you'd garnered. To the rest of the world you were Y/N L/N, ruthless business executive and CEO of L/N industries who made men and women alike weep and kneel at your feet. Your friends and immediate family knew the truth. Your soft spot was and always would be Avery.

"Thank you for reminding me, Avery," you said softly, holding your arms out. Her little eyes lighting up and a smile forming on her face as she ran across the living room to give you a big hug. Your eyes filled with tears as you took in your daughter. She was a small little thing, just a little bit smaller than most six year olds, but man was she the cutest thing you'd ever laid eyes on.

"I see you've got your big girl shirt on," you stated with a soft look, a grin beginning to appear on your lips as Avery's smile grew larger at the reference to her "magic bravery." "Are you gonna be mama's big girl at school today? Make new friends and be nice for your teacher?" you asked, running your hand lightly over Avery's back as she nodded in response.

Where Avery got her shyness from confused you. For a child with two of the most extroverted parents she sure made up for it with her introversion. There was nothing wrong with that though and you respected her decisions. Brock on the other hand would fuss at her if she didn't speak to one of his colleagues or if she didn't want to hug one of his family members. Just one of the other continually compounding reasons your marriage ended up in divorce. You would never force Avery to hug anyone she didn't want to and the only time you would nudge her to speak to someone was if it were important. When she got over her shyness...that's when you saw yourself in your daughter. Her attitude?? A copy and paste of your own.

"Alright sweet girl, Uncle Sam is gonna be here soon to take us to school. You gonna tell him how excited you are?" You asked while patting her leg, your sign it was time to get up and help her put her shoes on. Avery nodded her head as she grabbed her pink converse and she began babbling all about what she wanted to do at school and how she hoped she'd make new friends.