[001] new year

____________________________________(One year later)

"Enjoy your night," I waved to some new customers who I hadn't seen in here before, my smile dropping the second the middle-aged woman exits the store, and my exhausted features taking over once again. 

Working a five-hour shift on a weekday was not how I planned on spending my night. I was extremely tired and my hands were aching from having to pry the cash register open every so often.

It certainly wasn't all it was cracked up to be working in a small convenience store. Between the low pay and the shitty hours I was given, I regularly contemplated why I even bothered with the job. I didn't need the extra cash, and if it wasn't for the fact that it got me out of the house most nights, I would've quit by now. 

The only other perk was that I got to spend more time with one of my closest and dearest friend - Steve . 

"Hey, Steph," The boy called from the back, grabbing the attention of me. "Could you pass me some more ice cream?"  Usually, I would've given him some smart ass remark telling him to get his own, but with a customer present, I settled for just a smile and scooped him some of his favourite.

"What time do you finish?" I asked once the customer starts to head out of the store and pushed myself up onto the counter.  "Why? You need a ride?". My car broke over 4 months ago due to it being smashed by my dad multiple times. I cried for weeks as my mom gave me the money for that and it was the last I heard from her.

He raises his brows and cocks his head at me. Steve knew all too well that I would need a ride home, but he liked giving me shit about it anyway. Well, that and he didn't mind having to take me home. My house was on the way and he'd do just about anything for me regardless.

"What about Billy? Doesn't he usually pick you up when I don't?" He asks.  "He does, but lately he's been hanging out at the pool, more than usual." I copied his mocking tone, my smile slowly fading.

The thought of Billy hanging out with my best friend's mom didn't sit well with me and that was clear to anyone - anyone except Billy.  Even though I never voiced it, my feelings were still very strong for Steve. It was sad really, to know that I had such strong feelings towards him and yet he was so clueless about it.

Especially because it was right in front of his face. The other perk of working here was getting to be friends and hang around Robin. I saw her every now and again during my time at Hawkins but we never properly introduced ourselves. We both find a great interest in teasing Steve, especially when he tries and win the ladies over, which he never succeeded in.

"Hey dingus's, your children our here" me and Steve both looked at each other before rolling our eyes and making our way to the register, "seriously again?". I opened the door and allowed them through while Steve poked his head through the door and begins to talk, "if anyone hears about this..", "we're dead".