Chapter 3.

A few months later,

The doorbell rang at sharp 5:58 pm indicating the arrival of Emily's date. Jo stopped doing her homework and ran towards the door.

She took a deep breath and opened the door slowly for a cool dramatic effect. Jo leaned on the side of the door and looked at the man in front of her with falcon eyes. Something about him irked Jo.

Now, now, that is not the entire truth, EVERYTHING about Andrew irked her.

Andrew Knight. One of the top industrialists in North America, New York was his so-called throne. There was nobody in here that did not know him. It did not set well with Jo that someone who had been attending champagne parties even before he learnt to walk was dating her simpleton mother.

Emily was a beauty, but she had a daughter, something that was a major blowout, especially if one went through Emily's history in dating.

Andrew looked sharp in his usual three-piece suit, although a little nervous nevertheless charming enough to make a blushing mess out of anyone. He held a large bouquet of pink roses and smiled at Jo.

Jo kept scanning him with her eyes. She noticed how his beard was longer than usual and also had slight eye bags, which looked like a nice addition to his anti-ageing beauty. This man was 47 years old, which was something Jo was simply not ready to believe. Sure he had a rough look but he did not look a day over 35.

"Hello Jo", Andrew greeted, ignoring the awkward tension.

Jo smiled and said, "Hey, I see you're still perfectly on time, was hoping you will stand her up like last time".

"I was late, I did not stand her up, I will never do that kind of thing", Andrew said.

Jo eyed him up and down then said smiling widely, "Yes, you better not".

It was a drill for their every date, that Jo would open the door and give out threats with a sweet smile. Andrew found it extremely adorable. 

Andrew let out a small laugh and said, "The Earth is going to stop rotating the day I stop loving Emily".

Jo made an disgusted face.

"I'm ready", Emily said appearing all dolled up in an emerald green dress and matching earrings.

Andrew forgot everything the moment his eyes saw Emily, Jo could practically see the love and hearts leaking out of his eyes, which caused her more annoyance.

"These...These are for you", Andrew managed to stutter out, while handing her the flowers. Emily blushed and thanked him with bright red cheeks. "I grew them in my backyard myself".

"Aww, they are lovely", Emily said smelling the roses.

Jo sighed and took the flowers from her to keep them in a vase for Emily to stare at and daydream about later on.

"Let's go", Emily said to Andrew and then turned to Jo and said in a single breath, "Lock the door and keep the balcony shut, dinner's in the refrigerator, don't use the microwave for too long, don't you dare try to bake, and if you feel odd, call up Sarah and go to their place and don't keep your window open for long or you might catch a cold".

"Got it Mom and go enjoy your date", Jo gave her a big smile and pushed her out of the apartment.

Andrew straightened his suit jacket and looked back at her, "Don't stay up late Kiddo, have a nice evening", and with that, he was gone.

Jo kept staring at the now empty hallway, embracing the silence it left. Suddenly, an eerie feeling crept up her skin, raising the hair on the back of her neck.