Chapter 9

The ride to the Knight Mansion was quiet and awkward.

Jo was sitting in the car with Theon, Carter and Axel, Alexander was sent in another car. Although everyone seemed fine with Jo, Emily was a little scared that it wouldn't last. That was the last thing Emily wanted.

All her life, Jo only had only her father and Emily, but now she had a chance at having a family. Emily wanted everyone to like Jo and vice versa. 

Jo remembered how her mother had told her before the wedding to talk to Carter if she had any problems because he seemed the most approachable type. 

Jo mustered up the courage and took a deep breath before saying, "Carter, Thank you for helping manage the entire wedding, it was beautiful".

"No need to thank me, it was all Emily, I just helped a little", Carter replied. He was pleasantly surprised to see her initiate a conversation.

"I hope you don't blackmail people in the future Jo, and if you wanna know something ask us", Theon said wisely. "And for God's sake learn to whisper", Carter continued.

"My friends are still at the hotel and Dani had a mild fever when I saw her before leaving, can you make sure that they reach the airport in time tonight, their flight takes off at around 10 pm", Jo requested Carter.

"Of course, would you like to drop them to the Airport", Carter asked.

"If it's possible, yes", Jo said.

"I thought we smelled fishy", Theon said from the front of the car, making Jo flush.

Carter laughed and took out his phone to message someone.

The car halted signalling them that they had reached the Knight Mansion.

Axel opened the door and got out, he held the door open for Jo to come out, who looked spell-casted to see the humongous mansion.

Carter walked around and wrapped an arm around her, "This is your home today onwards Little Sis".

Theon motioned to the driver something as he nodded and drove away. Together the four of them entered the house that was already full of people.

Jo tried to keep her cool when entering this house. She was in awe of its big walls, modern architecture, abstract paintings decorating the walls, and pretty things littered all around the hallway to the living room.

"Is that her, the infamous Jo", a voice called out and a figure stood right in front of Jo blocking her path. Jo looked up and saw a tall woman with long brown hair tied in a ponytail. She was wearing a champagne-colour satin dress with a slit running high up her thigh.

"I'm sorry to have missed the wedding, I am Joyce Kingston, Andrew's elder sister", she beamed.

Jo looked for her mother only to see her getting dragged by Jayda. Emily gave Jo a small, encouraging smile before vanishing near the staircase.

Joyce hugged Jo and said, "You are squishy".

She held her hand and dragged Jo to the centre of the room, where the rest of the family was seated. 

"Honey, look here she is", Joyce went and sat beside a huge man who was staring at Jo intently.

Jo was surprised to see a man so huge, he looked like he lived in a gym. His shoulder-length dark hair and gruff-looking beard made him look like a bear.

"You're big", the man said. Jo was weirded out by his comment but stood quietly. She wanted to say that it was him that was huge because even in sitting he reached Jo's standing height.