Howl

I know logically that you're supposed to tell someone when a werewolf worshiping, extremely attractive, cult leader kidnaps you, but I, for the life of me, could not figure out how to start. I had zero injuries, and if the cops gave me a drug test they would find hallucinogens in my system and that really wouldn't lend credit to my story. And maybe because of previous bad experiences I wasn't too keen on telling the cops anyways. To tell the truth at this point it all seemed like a bad dream.

Kane had driven me to my apartment that morning like nothing had happened. I swear he dropped me off and was like have a nice day. How do you convince a police officer that someone so strangely polite kidnapped you then dropped you off at your door step a few days later no worse for wear. I knew I had missed my window though because it had been three days since Kane dropped me off and I hadn't said a word about what really happened to Aidan, or Kelsey or anyone. I knew part of the reason I was keeping quite was that I was used to a kind of don't ask don't tell lifestyle from back in my Jason days.

Aidan had been furious when I had called him that afternoon to let him know I was back. I had formulated a lie about my dad going to the hospital, an emergency plane ride, and a forgotten phone charger. He had not been happy.

"What does it matter that you left your cell phone charger!?"

"Well I don't have your number memorized, and the phone died before I could think to write it down and I was just so worried about my dad."

I figured Aidan would call me out on my lie right then. He knew my story and if he thought about it he would know I didn't give two shits about my dad.

"Well, I'm glad your dads okay Cassie. I'm sure you guys were happy to see each other," and then I knew.

Aidan was idealistic. If I had been on the receiving end of that phone call I would have told him to forget it and have a nice life, but Aidan was not as callous as me it seemed, he still had some faith in this world.

My bitchiness had always been a defense mechanism. Most people would say I wasn't a bitch, but I was when it counted. I was perfectly nice to people I held at arms length but the second someone got too close I shut it down. It wasn't that I was one of those people who were afraid of commitment or getting hurt, (I was but no more than any other person) it was just that I was accepting of my lot in life and I didn't want to drag anyone else into my problems.

It just wasn't fair to expect someone to deal with my fucked up mess of a past. I had accepted it but that didn't mean that everyone could. I realized though, that Aidan might deserve a chance. He had listened to my story without judgement and that was almost more than I could ask a person.

Aidan and I had plans to meet later this week for dinner and a chance to move past the hiccup that was my sudden absence.

"Hey Cassie, you look beautiful," he said enveloping me in a warm hug.

"Thanks. You look pretty nice yourself," I said smiling up at him. We had decided to eat dinner at his place so we would have a chance to talk. I was pretty nervous, he had been to my apartment numerous times but I had always been a little uncomfortable going to his place. He had been very understanding and didn't push me which I was grateful for.

The drive was quiet but not in an awkward way. I was comfortable just sitting next to him looking out the window at the buildings passing by.

Aidan lived a little outside town. His house was small, but nice. It wasn't the bachelor pad I had expected though.

"I inherited the place after my parents passed," he explained.

He seemed happy, but I couldn't understand living happily in the house I had grown up in, too many hard memories.