XL - Caster

One of the most recent examples of violence against magicians is the Ormstras Massacre, which happened merely a year ago when this book is published

Ormstras was a small village in the north of Voralier, roughly a five-hour horse ride from Voralier's capital, Voralier. There was a family of farmers that were discovered to be magicians. There is not a lot of information on the order of events, but a nearby violent rebel group heard word about them. They figured that it would only be a matter of time before Pravus found out. The rebel group killed the family of magicians and after, they grew suspicious. The rebels were convinced that the villagers were purposing hiding magicians and there might be more. It started off with accusations but then turned to a bloody slaughter. There have been rumours that some of the villagers survived the massacre, but none has come forward. The rebels have also not been found and punished.

- The Eyes of the Magician: History of Magicians in Voralier, Prof. Henri Kapitel

Tamira collapsed on the grass once Ryia had finally congratulated her on a good session. Althea laughed and went to join her with a towel so she could mop up her sweaty-ness while Ryia went over to Caster. She didn't seem nearly as exhausted as Tamira.

"Hey sweet cheeks," she cooed, pecking Caster on the cheek and wrapping her arm around his waist.

"Hello," Caster said back.

"What happened with the magician?" Ryia asked. "I saw that you pissed him off; what did you say? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if you simply said, 'Hey, how are you?' because everything you say seems to set him off for no reason."

Caster sighed. "Honestly, it seems like it. I can't reach him. I want him to feel like he is safe around and that he can trust us."

"Well, it would certainly make our lives easier if he did. Then we wouldn't have to worry about him blowing up if we say the wrong word," she said. Ryia has had no problem expressing her dislike of the magician over the last few days. "But it isn't your fault, peaches. You have done everything you can to accommodate him – gone beyond necessary for him. There's no fault on your part if he doesn't put in any effort. Relationships are a two-way thing."

"I know, but..."

Ryia cocked her head to the side. "But what?"

"Well, I don't know. It's something he said today." Caster hesitated. "I went over to smooth things over – to explain I am nothing like my father, but he said that he doesn't care that Lord Tasinroth is my father."

Ryia frowned.

"Yeah, I know," Caster continued. "So I asked him if I had done anything to him, but he just said if I did, then it clearly wasn't worth remembering – or something like that. I've been racking my brain ever since."

"Talk about being cryptic," Ryia remarked. "But I wouldn't worry about it. He probably mistook you for someone else."

"I don't know... There is something vaguely familiar about him but I can't think of where I would have seen him."