prologue

Running in the night was not something that Sam and Dean were expecting, especially not with a wolf chasing after them. The two teens were enjoying a nightly stroll when they heard growling and the next thing they knew they were running for their lives. Dean's main thought was to get Sam as far away from the wolf as he can. He'd much rather have something happen to him than his little brother.

"De we'll never outrun it!" Sam exclaimed almost out of breath. "Not at night." The brothers got to a clearing but they hadn't heard the wolf so they assumed that they lost it.

"Sam, I need you to get back to the house," Dean said. "I'll get there as fast as I can, I just never expected wolves to be in Kansas."

"I'm not going to leave you!" Dean didn't give Sam the chance to say anything else, another howl pierced the clear night sky. Dean's heart sped up, every inch of his body ordered him to keep moving but he found that he could not.

"Sam! Go!" Dean yelled and pushed Sam towards one of the open paths. He turned expecting to see a monster attack him but instead he saw bright red eyes glow in the darkened night. Sam didn't want to leave his brother but if he didn't listen to Dean then he'd probably get upset and stop talking to him. Instead, Sam obeyed and ran. However, he stopped by a tree and watched from a safe distance. "Come on you son of a bitch." Dean said ready to pounce on the creature. When it attacked, Dean threw his full body weight against the wolf it thrashed in his arms but it was way stronger than he was and easily knocked him off.

Dean fell back but as he was standing, suddenly, all he could feel was something grabbing his ankle and pulling him into the darkness. He cried out as soon as he felt sharpened teeth bite down on his soft flesh. Using his strength he kicked the wolf back it whimpered in pain but shook it off like it was nothing. It growled and approached Dean once more thinking that maybe Dean would try to attack, he tried to stand but the pain in his ankle and his side were so great that he couldn't keep his eyes open and simply passed out.

"Dean!" Sam yelled just as the wolf's eyes turned toward him. Sam flinched and backed away running into the night but after he saw what he had seen that same night he wasn't going to give up on his brother. He was going to find him if it was the last thing he did.