aquila

That summer morning I woke up to the sun finally deciding to make its appearance for the first time since the beginning of this week

That summer morning I woke up to the sun finally deciding to make its appearance for the first time since the beginning of this week. In my post-slumber drag, I hear the profound sound of piano playing; its rich chords serenading the house at large. Breathing life back into it after so many cloudy mornings.

A small smile covers my lips. I just know it's Dean by the way that song flows out perfectly without so much as a beat missed. The empty spot beside me confirms it.

This is only the third time we've spent the night together. The first time was accidental, which ended catastrophically. The second time was after a house party on the night of our graduation, which had only been two weeks ago. This time was the only time my parents had actually known I was with him. They'd been reluctant (mostly my dad) but ultimately, they said yes as long as his mum was here to 'supervise' us.

The government recognizes us as adults, but I still have to ask my parents' permission to sleep over at my boyfriend's house. And we're not even half as bad as they were. I will say that was one leading reason as to why I should be allowed to spend more time with Dean.

Another one is that my mum trusts him with me. Despite only knowing him for a little over a month, she's a great judge of character. I mean, she kinda has to be given her line of work, but it doesn't take long for her to decide whether a person's intentions are good or not. Fortunately, she picked up a good feeling about Dean not long after they met.

Dean meeting my parents hardly went the way I planned, but the circumstances weren't impossible to work with. Before I knew it, he became well-adjusted to the Clemonte-Reeve household. Even my dad, who is still wary of Dean, tolerates him now. I consider that a victory.

My sisters approve of him, in fact, Irene adores him. Little shit always wants to tag along with us, which I wouldn't have a problem with if she didn't interrupt every damn conversation. I never forced Dean to get along with her, it's just something that naturally happened. Okay, I'll admit, their little bond is something that I've caught myself thinking about from time to time. But I'd really appreciate it if my little sister went back to tagging along with Emrys.

And speaking of such, the animosity between us has been cleared. We apologized to one another because our mum forced us to, but a few days later he gave me a genuine apology, saying he had no right to go and say those things in the heat of the moment. I understood, I mean, it isn't just him that inherited the habit of saying stupid shit in the midst of anger.

I never went as far as to say I forgave him though. My ego would never survive that hard of a blow. Instead, I showed it to him in simple actions, talking to him, bickering over the smallest of things, punching him when something stupid left his mouth (which was often). We were back to finally being ourselves once more.

I rolled out a bed a few minutes past nine and tiptoed down the stairs in order not to alert him of my presence. Cujo was waiting for me just outside Dean's door. She's the sweetest cat, despite her namesake. Every time I walked through the front door, she greeted me with a small meow and began purring at my feet. Dean says she's never been that way with anybody.