Chapter 2

"Rose?" Derek called out as he entered their apartment.

It had been his first day back since the cruise and it had gone....differently than he had thought it would.

"Kitchen." She yelled back.

Derek made his way to the kitchen to see Rose sitting behind their counter, a glass of red wine in her hand as she skimmed through some style magazine.

"How was work?" She asked not bothering to turn and look at him.

"Work?" Derek repeated.

"Yes, work. That is where you were, wasn't it?" Rose turned in her seat to face him now and she did not look happy.

"Work was fine." Derek mumbled.

"Mhmm." Rose rolled her eyes and continued to flip through her magazine.

"I kind of quit..." Derek whipered.

"You what?!" Rose jumped from her seat and yelled. "Are you kidding me Derek?"

"I was called into the Chief's office, he was going to give me a promotion and I just, I quit."

"You just quit? That's your explanation?"

"I don't owe you an explanation for why I quit. You know I could get a job at whatever hospital I walk into."

"So this is about your ego. Do I not boost it enough Derek?"

"God, Rose it had nothing to do with my ego. I was bored. I didn't enjoy going to work every day I need a change."

"You were bored? I think I liked the you just quit answer better." Rose huffed.

"I am bored Rose. Nothing exciting has ever happened in my life, I need to do something adventurous. That's why I planned the cruise I was going to propose but —"

"But what Derek? You tell me you quit your job and now that you were going to propose which I assume means you've changed your mind."

"This hasn't been working for a long time." Derek sighed.

"You tell yourself whatever the hell you want Derek." Rose said.

"I'm sorry about this."

"I want you out of here tomorrow." Rose told him before storming out.

Derek left early the next morning, before Rose even had the chance to wake up. He had spent the night on the couch which he didn't really mind. They had a one bedroom apartment and sleeping beside Rose was definitely not an option.