Potential Problems

Chapter 28: Potential Problems

I heard Deidara and Sasori arguing in the living room as I passed by on my way back from training. This was a typical occurrence, and usually just ignored them. This time, however, Deidara called out to me, "Hey, Katsumi! Tell Sasori that art is fleeting."

"If she knew anything about art, she would know that it is eternal," Sasori said. He looked at me as I changed course to meet them. "Have you never wanted something to last forever?"

"You can want something that isn't possible," I said, causing Deidara to smirk. "Life has meaning because it is fleeting. And if art is meant to reflect life, Deidara has that down perfectly."

Deidara grinned. "Thank you!"

"However..." I carefully watched Sasori, who was trying hard to look unaffected by my words. "There is one thing that is eternal, but I think it is the exception that proves the rule."

"And what is that?" said Sasori.

"Bonds. The bonds between people are eternal, and even death cannot break them. Once someone profoundly affects your life, they are always with you. They influence you and become a part of you. But while the bonds are eternal, the time you have with someone is fleeting. That's why you've got to appreciate the time you have together. If people lived forever, I don't think they would make such strong bonds. Why put in that effort when you have eternity? Knowing life is fleeting, people make every moment count. Loved ones and the time you have with them are precious."

"Yes," Deidara said softly. "That's exactly right."

Sasori scoffed. "If you keep speaking like that, he's never going to leave you alone."

I smiled at Deidara. "Who said I want him to?"

Sasori shook his head and walked past us. "Have fun with your pointless endeavors."

Deidara smirked. "Do you want to go enjoy more moments together?"

I grinned. "You bet!"

"So," Deidara said as we walked towards the exit, "do you think you and I have a bond even though I don't have one of those fancy bracelets?"

"Of course we do. That's not dependent on a bonding bracelet. Besides, I can read your emotions without the bracelet much better than Itachi's emotions with the bracelet."

Deidara chuckled lightly. "Good."

I wondered if it was good. Sure, the bond itself was good, but I was worried about its nature and how strong it would get. It was easy to forget about my concerns when I was actually with him. They returned, however, whenever I saw Itachi.

"You were with Deidara?" the Uchiha said when I entered our room.

"That's right," I said, my defenses high. "We were just having some fun." And getting closer at the same time.

Itachi nodded. "That is good, but keep in mind that your time here is coming too close."

"I- I know. I'll be careful."

"You don't have to listen to him, you know," Kiku said, padding up to me. "He's wrong."

I looked away. "Maybe his reasoning is wrong, but that doesn't mean his conclusion is inaccurate. I will have to leave soon, and I have to deal with that." If bonds were eternal, I did not want to form the wrong kind of bond that would leave me in a negative situation.

"Fine. Figure out what you're going to do. A clean separation isn't inevitable."

"But it is ideal," Itachi said. "If you can control the direction of the relationship, you can minimize the damages."