Proof

Chapter 32: Proof

"Hey!" I shouted at Deidara's door. "What do you think you're doing? I'm finally ready to fight for us and you're the one who's giving up? You hypocrite!"

The door opened right when I was about to knock. Deidara glowered at me. "I am not a hypocrite. You broke everything apart for no reason. I am taking a step back based on your actions, hmm."

Okay, maybe I did deserve that, but still... "I get that, Deidara, but I realize I was wrong now. Can't we work this out?"

"No.  How do I know you won't change your mind again tomorrow? You're just acting based on your feelings."

"Hey, I made a rational decision. You're the one who follows your feelings!"

Deidara's eyes narrowed. "And you don't understand me when I thought you did. And I probably didn't know you. We were both fooled, and now it's time to wake up."

I shook my head. "No, no. That's all wrong. What we have is real. I care about you!"

"You care about what you can get from me... just like everyone else. You used me to pass the time. That's why you were so quick to cast me off when I no longer served a purpose."

"That's not true!"

"How am I supposed to believe you?"

Tears filled my eyes. "Dei..." Pain gripped my heart not just because he was refusing to work with me but because what it meant about him and his past experiences. I knew he had struggles he didn't show, but I did not know how deep his pain ran. And it killed me to know I had added to it. "I'm sorry."

"So am I. Clearly, I made a mistake. Artists are meant to be alone. I should never have broken that rule."

"Deidara, I-" For a moment, regret flashed in Deidara's eyes. Then he withdrew into his room and slammed the door again, leaving me feeling numb. I sighed, me hands on the door. "I love you." I knew my whispered words would never reach him. It was over. I turned around and pressed my back against the door. Then I slid until I was sitting.

Cautiously, Kiku padded up to me. "Katsumi?" she said. "I heard everything. Are you alright?"

"No." I wiped my eyes, but it did not help. I wrapped my arms around my legs and buried my face in my knees so no one would see my tears.

"I'm sorry." She rubbed against my leg before laying next to me with her fur touching me. "Maybe he just needs time."

I did not know about that. It sounded pretty final. So, why did I remain there like he would change his mind? Before I could figure it out, I heard something approach. Tobi. I lifted my head, not caring what he thought about what he said. "What do you want?"

"Is Katsumi okay?" Tobi asked in a surprisingly gentle voice.

"Deidara rejected her," Kiku said, a hint of a warning in her tone. "You should leave her be."

"I hurt him," I said, "and I don't know how to fix it." Tobi stared at me for a long minute. Then he reached down, grabbed my wrist, and pulled me to my feet. "Hey!"

"What do you think you're doing?" Kiku hissed.

Tobi did not bring me far: only to the room across the hall. He used his free hand to pound on the door. "Sasori senpai!" he shouted. "Tobi needs to talk to you!"

The door opened, and Sasori's head appeared, looking quite irritated. "What do you want, Tobi?"

"Help Katsumi!" Tobi forced the door wide open before pushing me inside. Sasori moved away just enough so I did not ram into him.