Separation

Chapter 35: Separation

"This place is beautiful," I said, gazing at the crystal clear lake in the middle of a forest littered with flowers of multiple colors. After training in the morning, Itachi said he wanted to take me somewhere away from the base. He blindfolded me during the trip so I would not remember my way back, which was fine with me. Deidara never took such actions, but everything did look different from the air.

"I knew you would like it," Itachi said. "I came across it on my way back from a mission and thought you would enjoy it."

I smiled. "Thank you for showing it to me, Itachi. It's always nice to go someplace new." My eyes wandered the water, noticing the fish swimming about.

"Katsumi."

His tone sounded serious, so I looked at him. "What is it?"

"The summer solstice is in one week. I have a test for you to make sure you are ready."

I blinked. "A test? What kind of test?"

"Just stay still and look into my eyes."

"Okay..." As soon as I looked up into his eyes, they flashed red with the Sharingan.

"Now look at the lake."

My eyes fell on the water once more. Everything appeared normal, but then a fish jumped into the air. Then an other one and another one. Many fish leapt out of the water, turning in the air and crossing each other. It was almost like they were dancing. I was mesmerized by the sight for a long time. Then I suddenly felt someone shake me.

"Katsumi?" said a familiar voice. "Snap out of it!"

In a blink of an eye, the fish were gone like they were never there. I turned to face the one who ended the performance. "Naruto!" I gasped when I realized what had happened. Itachi had let me go. I was no longer with the Akatsuki. I felt a sharp pain in my chest, and I panicked. "Oh, no, no. Where is he?" I ran in the direction I had come with him. "Itachi! Itachi, where are you? You can't do this to me, you jerk!"

"Itachi?" Naruto said. "Itachi Uchiha? What were you doing with him?"

I ignored him and continued to search the area. "Itachi? Come back! This isn't funny!"

"He's not here," said another voice. Jiraiya.

"No, he has to be. He can't just leave me." But I could not feel his chakra anywhere. He was long gone. "No!" I clenched my teeth in frustration. "Itachi! You'll pay for this!"

"Katsumi?" Naruto said hesitantly.

I turned to look at him and finally really saw him. He was here. My best friend I had not seen in years. "Naruto!" I ran to him and flung my arms around him. I felt his surprise, but he hugged me back. I held him tightly as my whole body shook and my vision blurred.

"Hey, what's wrong?" When I did not respond, he said in a slightly panicked voice, "What do I do, Pervy Sage?"

"Let her calm down," Jiraiya said. I heard him approach, and he placed a hand on my back. "Breathe."

I did focus on my breathing, slowly allowing me to calm. When I felt I was stable, I pulled away from Naruto and gave him a weak smile. "I'm sorry."

Naruto shook his head. "You didn't do anything wrong. Will you tell me what happened? What's this about Itachi?"

I hesitated before lifting my wrist, displaying the bracelet. "I've been living with him - and the Akatsuki - for the last five months."

Jiraiya took hold of my arm to examine the bracelet. "It has been a long time since I've seen one of these. Itachi has a matching one, doesn't he?"