Chapter 1: The Pimp Of Pasadena High

The school bus slowly pulled into the road that lead up to Pasadena High School. It wasn't as big as Luke thought it might be. There was a large field surrounding the lower parking lot, where students were getting out of their trucks, talking to friends, and jumping on the small wooden barrier that protected them from the road. Frost was prominent on the grass. As the bus pulled up to the school, Luke noticed a back road, which lead to the track and football field. Three more fields were covered in a light dusting of snow on the other side of the school. The bus pulled up to the front doors, and all the kids got up, pushing and laughing as they grabbed their jackets and bags. Luke stood last, with his black pumps. He followed a tall brown haired kid through the doors, and looked around. Kids were laughing and walking to class. He looked at his watch, which read 7:55am. He had 5 minutes to find the office. He looked around, clueless. Luke felt a hand tap him on the shoulder.

"Hey, you're the new kid that's starting today, right? I'm Ashton." A kid with a plain black shirt on stuck his hand out to greet him. Luke looked cautiously, shaking it.

"I'm Luke, can you show me where the office is?" He asked nervously.

Ashton smiled. "Sure buddy. And you know Michael, right?" Luke grinned. Before Luke had moved to the States, he had met a guitar player over the Internet named Michael. Turns out, he went to Pasadena High as well.

They walked over to a side door near the entrance, and Ashton showed him inside. An Indian woman looked up from her desk and smiled. "Ah, you're our new student, Mr. Hemmings! Welcome to Pasadena High, sweetheart!" Luke gave her a small wave, and she gave him his schedule. Luke peered down the fancy words. He felt his ears grow red as they left the office, and he tugged at Astons's black shirt.

"Um, Ashton?" He asked quietly, his face entirely pink. "What's this word?" Ashton took his schedule, and answered "Semester. That's just what the first and second half of the year, pretty much when you take midterms and finals." Luke nodded, and looked at his first class.

"American History." He looked to Ashton. "All of the language classes and arts classes are on this floor, the first floor." Ashton began as he walked towards one of the many staircases. "English and History are on the second floor, and math and science are on the third floor, along with the gym and auditorium." They stopped in front of a door. "Have fun." Ashton smiled, and started head banging playing air drums down the hall. Luke let out a shuddered breath, and opened the door.
~
The room was loud and the teacher was laughing at some kids. One kid had tried to shoot a spitball at someone in the front, but it backfired, and he got spit in his hair. Everyone was laughing, including a familiar boy with red hair. The boy looked up when Luke closed the door, and let out a giggle. "Mr. Woods, Luke is here!" The young teacher looked up and gave Luke a smile. "Hey, Hemmings! Come up here, and I'll get you settled in!" His voice was loud and booming over the rest, but it was somewhat comforting, because it was very friendly and inviting. The class began to settle down as Luke walked up to the front. He was expecting kids to try and trip him, but that wasn't the case. When he got to the front of the room and looked out, all of the kids looked excited to meet him THAT was different from all of the movies Luke had seen about high school in Australia.

"So, Luke, why don't you introduce yourself, and then you can pick where you want to sit?" Mr. Woods leaned back in his chair, giving Luke the spotlight. Everyone was silent waiting for Luke to speak. The last thing he ever wanted to do.

"Uh, hi, I'm Luke. I'm a junior and, uh. . ." Luke stood nervously, looking over at Michael, who gave him a thumbs up. "Yeah, and, uh, you guys all seem nice, so, um, yeah." The class applauded, and several people shouted for Luke to come sit next to them. One of them being a girl they named Aleisha, who was the most prominent. Luke had already decided where he wanted to sit, however, and picked the seat right next to Michael, in the second row. Some people grumbled, but Mr. Woods kept the class moving. It was suprisingly easy, due to Michael's help on most of the questions. Luke would need to study if he wanted to catch up.