Chapter 7 : Who We Are

The clockticked away slowly, signalling that there were only five minutes left of 7th period. Students began to rise from their seats,bringing their Calculus tests to Mr. Greyson. Mr. G thanked each one,but stared at one boy in particular, in the back of the roomfinishing up, whom looked like he was about to burst into tears.

As much as Luke hated Calculus, he never wanted to hear the bell chime, signalling the end of the day. That would mean facing Calum, and possibly having to suffer through a second session of humiliation and demoralization.It worried him; what if his dad found out? Luke didn't go to the policeabout what happened, or anyone for that matter. He was too ashamed.

"Lucas, I need your test, up here please." Mr. Greyson announced. Everyoneturned to face Luke, who was doodling a star at the bottom of the last page. When he heard his name called, he jumped in his seat, immediately complying to his teacher's orders. Luke walked past the rest of the students, hearing their whispers.

"Does he seem different to you today?" "Yeah, he didn't participate in Physics at all today, which was weird." "Not in History either .. . " "Hey, is that Hood's sweatshirt he's wearing?"

Luke placed the packet down neatly on the pile. Mr. Greyson looked up.

"Thank you Luke. Now, you may all get up, stretch your legs and whatnot. Talk with your friends, QUIETLY please." The students boundedout of their seats, going to meet up with their friends. Luke squeezed past them, back to his desk. Luke stuck his pencil in his pocket, and tucked away his books safely in his bag. Three minutes left.

Ashton looked over at Luke, trying to figure out what was wrong with his friend. Had something happened at home? Did a teacher assault him, like Mr, Greyson had on Friday? This was so strange for Luke to be acting this way; he loved school. Some of Ashton's friends from the baseball team greeted him, pulling his thoughts away. Two minutes left.

Luke tucked his head into his arms, trying to block out the noise aroundhim. He just wanted to go home, watch an old movie on Netflix with ripped black skinny jeans on and snacks all around him. But he couldn't. One minute left.

Mr. Greyson got up from his seat, scanning the room of students. He needed to talk to Luke about something very important. But it would have to wait until everyone had left. The bell rung at that moment, and students bolted from the classroom, laughing at how terrible their Wednesday was.

Luke's head rose up off of the desk at the sound of the bell. He slowly got up, grabbing his bag. Time for torture.

"Lucas, I need to speak with you for a moment." Mr. Greyson called, causing attention to be brought upon him. Luke turned, and sulked over to his teacher. "What?" He sighed, leaning against the desk behind him, in front of Mr. Greyson. Mr. G sighed, taking off his glasses and rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"Mr. Hemmings . . . " He began. Luke tensed up. This wasn't the normal Mr. Greyson, who was constantly treating him like a dog. "You're a good kid. I knew that when I first met you. Curious, engaged, and generally a happy kid. I don't want that to change," Luke remained silent, waiting for him to get to the point.

Mr. G let out a sigh. "Just . . . I know I haven't been the best person to you so far, and I apologize. But I feel like something's going on with you. I can tell, I have two degrees, in Mathematics and in Physiology. If you ever feel threatened or just need to talk, just come to me." Mr. G looked up to Luke.

Luke nodded. "Okay, Mr. Greyson. Thanks, I guess." As Luke turned toleave, Mr. G put a hand on his shoulder.

"Also, I don't like the thought of you hanging around with that Calum boy. I like Michael and Ashton, and their group of friends, but . .. " Luke heard his teacher swear under his breath. "Just, watch out for yourself, alright? I don't want to turn on the news to see you on there for anything other than school. You don't know what he's capable of." Luke felt sweat grow on his neck. He gave Mr. G a quick nod, then darted out of the classroom.
~
Finding the main Chemistry lab wasn't hard. Luke could smell the sulphur and acid all the way from Mr. Greyson's room. Pinching his nose, Luke opened the door. This is why we took Advanced Physics, not Chemistry.

The room was darkened, and a video clip was being rewinded on the projector. Calum stood at the back of the classroom, washing his hands off in the sink. A set of beakers stood next to him on the drying rack. Not wanting to startle him, Luke shimmied his way through the tables, and sat on top of the one closet to the emergency exit. Just in case.

Calum turned, pulling off his gloves. "Hey Hemmo, glad you could make it," Luke stiffened at the use of his nickname. What was Calum up to? "We need to talk about last Saturday."

Calum approached Luke slowly, throwing his apron to the side. When he was in 'touching distance' of Luke, he smirked. "I see you're wearing my sweatshirt. Very nice." Luke blushed.

"I was cold." Was all he muttered, causing Calum to take a step closer, chuckling. "I bet you were."

Calum pulled Luke's legs apart, slotting himself in between the other boy. Luke whimpered, turning his head away from Calum. "No, please God no . . . " Luke's breath hitched at the end of his plea, signalling that he was going to cry.

Calum placed his hands on Luke's thighs, moving his mouth to Luke's ear."Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you."

Calum turned Luke's head to face his, looking at him deeply. Fear was dripping from his eyes, and Calum sighed. Holding his chin but the thumb and fore finger, Calum pulled Luke into a deep kiss.

Luke didn't move at first; this felt different from his first two kisses with Calum. This felt cautious, nerve-racking, the second hurried and over-sexualized. But this kiss was full of passion, love. And, forsome reason, Luke was all over it. Wrapping his arms around Calum's neck, he kissed back, feeling his heart fill with adrenaline. Calum moaned slightly, and Luke took this as the chance to please his friend. Luke pushed his tongue in to the other's mouth, and fought for dominance. After the siege was completed, Calum won, pushing Luke down on his back, lying him flat. Calum didn't break the kiss, simply leaning over top of him.

After several more minutes, the two broke from their heated make-outsession, panting and holding the other close. Neither spoke for a fewminutes, until Calum looked at the time.

"I should probably drive you home now."
~
Luke was ecstatic to find that his dad's car wasn't in the driveway. He could talk to Calum all he wanted. Calum walked him to the door, holding his backpack for him. When they got to the door, Calum dropped the bag and instead enveloped Luke in a long hug. "I never got to ask you my question." Calum pouted, and Luke smiled.

"Well, ask me now then, we have time." Calum looked down at Luke, almost . . . lustfully? Before asking:

"Hemmo, will you go out with me?"

Luke smiled, responding by pulling Calum's face down into yet another kiss.

Sorry I haven't been writing anything for a while, I've been really busy getting ready for college and other personal things, thanks for understanding! Much love Indiana.