Seventy-Five

.

{Up to Chance}

.

Word Count; 5,359

"Costa..." A voice whispered in her ear, it's voice echoing off the walls of her mind. "Oh, Costa..."

She groaned, eyes screwing shut as she let out a soft, "Shh..."

It seemed to chuckle in response, a low, purring sort of noise that sent chills racing down Costa's spine. It had just withdrawn from Costa's ear as her sleeping form began to shift and soon she was lifting her head and rubbing her knuckles into her eye sockets. She let out a sleepy noise, her sight adjusting as she finally opened her eyes.

She was back in the abyss, lying on the ground, curled up into a little ball.

"Tesha" only sat cross-legged, a mere few feet away from Costa, dressed in a plain white shift, staring down at her with it's head tilted to one side. It's face was no longer pulled back into an angry expression, or even a hurt one. It only blinked at Costa with pure neutrality glazed over her features.

Costa rose an eyebrow, pushing herself to sit up. She last remembered being at her desk, it was late, and she'd started dozing off right when she got to the last page of her textbook reading. Then, everything went fuzzy after that- which led her here, sitting across from the being she now referred to as Tesha.

"Back so soon?" She joked sarcastically and it blinked at her.

"You did not take the potion that keeps you from seeing me tonight... why?" It asked her with genuine curiosity, as if it couldn't fathom her decision, as if it didn't understand her reasoning. Costa stretched her tired limbs, letting out a loud yawn, before mirroring it's criss-crossed sitting position.

"Didn't feel like it." She let her lips crack into a small smirk. "What? Did you not want my company? Well, too bad. You're stuck with it now." Costa had a glint of amusement in her eyes that Tesha seemed to narrow in on. Costa could feel it's distrust and suspicion just by the way it looked at her. The same emotion stirred inside of her whenever she glanced at it.

They would have a long way to go, that much was clear.

"Do you like the name Tesha?" Costa blurted because the silence between them had dragged on too long and she feared Tesha would grow bored of her if she wasted a single second.

It furrowed it's eyebrows at her in confusion, it's mouth pulling into a frown. "Tesha?"

"It means survivor, I figured since you're... we're..." Costa let out a long sigh, realizing this was much more difficult then she initially thought. It was like trying to bond with a specimen that wasn't even of the same species, no matter how human it appeared. "I thought it'd be nice if you had a name."