KAGEYAMA TOBIO X BEST FRIEND (LEMON)

The first time you met Kageyama Tobio was seven years ago, in the summer before junior high. You were twelve years old and so was he, and you had just moved to a new neighbourhood. The volleyball he'd been bouncing on his hand had rolled to your feet and as you served it back to him, your poor aim had sent the ball colliding with his face. You used up the little bit of allowance you had to buy him a carton of strawberry milk as an apology and by some miracle, he accepted it. It was then that you learned you were both going to attend the same school, and it was that day that an unbreakable bond had formed.

In the time you've known Kageyema, he's never really had much luck with relationships. At first, it's hard to believe. He's attractive (like really, really attractive), tall (six foot two to be exact), and athletic (you think you remember him having abs since he was sixteen). It's probably precisely that which is why he's never had a relationship—the fact that he lives and breathes volleyball. Where most people continue on to university after graduating high school, Kageyama had been invited to play the sport for a living. He's never had a moment to spare, always giving you the "training" excuse.

There's also the fact that Kageyama is Kageyama. He's awkward, rude, pessimistic, a little weird, and doesn't tend to get along with people in general. He's gotten far... kinder over the years, mainly as a result of being friends with the likes of you and Hinata Shoyou. Still, it came as a surprise to you when a week ago he announced that he had gotten himself a date with a girl.

In typical Kageyama fashion, he had told you nothing about her until you asked him. Her name was Ayumi, and she worked at the gym he went to. She was the one who asked for his number. He was the one who suggested lunch at a nearby cafe.

He's over at your house one day, a rainy day, one for doing nothing at all except maybe watching a show. You're laying in your bed together, you on your stomach as you struggle to keep your eyes open while he's on his back next to you. There's some ghost hunting show playing on your TV, but you've both stopped paying attention to it. The sound of raindrops beating against your window is far more fascinating.

"Can I... ask you... something?" he asks, breaking the silence eventually.

"Hm?" you reply, propping yourself onto your elbows so you can stare down at him next to you. He's staring up at the ceiling, cerulean eyes pensive, his features ever so hard to decipher.

He opens his mouth to speak, but just as quickly closes it again. A moment later he opens it, then closes.

"Today would be nice," you tease, but regret takes over instantly when you watch him gulp. He doesn't shoot back with an insult of his own, something uncharacteristic of him.

"How do you... you know... pleasure a girl?"

You can't help the laugh that escapes your mouth. Kageyama's face burns bright, a mixture of humiliation and rage. It's the last thing you ever thought he'd ask and you still can't tell if he's teasing you or not, although something in his tone tells you he's being dead serious.

"Shut up," he says, glaring at you. "Ayumi invited me to her house this weekend. She keeps reminding me that her parents aren't going to be home so I think she wants to... you know?"

Your eyebrows raise. There's a swell of pride because your best friend is finally getting action, but you can't ignore the pang of jealousy that lingers either.

His original question makes sense now—Kageyama's never gotten further than kissing anyone. If he had, he would have told you. He tells you everything, after all.

"What, you want me to teach you?"

It's a rhetorical question, not meant to be anything more than a joke. But your best friend stays quiet. The "no, dumbass" that you expect from him as a reply never comes.