65. Break

He felt awkward as he tugged at his collar. Though the sensation of his collar resting right against his neck was familiar, for some reason, it was almost irritating that day. Anxiety was pooling in his stomach, the lights of the city were passing by faster than he would have liked. 

"Sir," he said quietly," Is it really okay for me to come along?"

The Major answered without hesitation," Of course it is!" Major Kang said brightly, a smile that could barely be seen in the dark car on his face," You wouldn't be coming along if it wasn't."

Well, he was sure about that, but...

"I thought a plus one was meant for partners sir."

Major Kang hummed, the sound of the blinker accompanying his words," It's for partners and good friends. Jiyeh couldn't come and everyone wants to meet you anyway."

Oh, he didn't like the sound of that," Everyone?"

"Yeah!" There was a lull in their conversation as the older man introduced them to the security guard, confirming that they were allowed to be there," Everyone's family wants to meet you. Especially since you saved our asses."

Even though he didn't mean to, he pulled a face at the thought of meeting everyone's friends and/or partners. It's not that he didn't want to meet them, in fact, he wanted to meet them. 

He just didn't want to meet them at a ball, where he was sure he was going to mess up at least one of Korea's traditions or standards. In front of people that he didn't know, with only the Major and his men as his lifeline. 

"...That sounds like a lot of people."

"It is," Major Kang pulled into their parking space, and turned to face his younger friend," But it's fine. As long as you tell me, you can go off to wherever to take a break from the crowd."

That made him feel slightly better. 

"Yes Sir."

-------------

Like he thought. 

This sucked. 

It wasn't the men or their families that were the problem. In fact, they were quite lovely. He got to meet Han-Gyeols wife, who gave him a tight hug upon meeting him, as well as everyone else's plus one. 

The only thing he was slightly confused about was the way the Major strongly insisted that the man that kept on kissing Dae-Hyun's cheek and wrapping his arm around the medics' waist was simply a close friend. (He was rather sure that Day-Hyun and his plus one were a little bit more than close friends) Imagine his confusion when all of the other men started making eye contact with him as they insisted that the pair were just friends ( Dae-Hyun is just friends with him Ijin. Stop asking)

But when they joined the rest of the ball, where there were all types of military figures and their spouses. 

That's when it started to get too much. There were too many people, too many people trying to say hi. Far too many people trying to set up dates with him and their daughters, and way too many women trying to drag him off to the dance floor. 

After the third time in a row, a woman latched onto his arm and tried to take him to the dance floor. He decided that enough was enough. Trying his best to become wallpaper, he walked over to the Major, who was in the middle of talking with Han-Gyeol and his wife.

"Major Kang," The major jumped, surprised at Ijin's sudden appearance," I'm going to walk around for a little bit." Aka. He needed a break. 

"Okay," Major Kang grinned, still nursing the same cup of champagne Ijin last saw almost twenty minutes ago," I'll text you when we're leaving."