74. A.U: Younger- Sunny

He stared down at it.

It stared back, its dark, almost black eyes focusing on him until its attention was brought to something else. It bit ­down on his finger, he could barely feel the points of its teeth poking through its gums. The bite was more gum than teeth, and the occasional growl or bark was more annoying than anything.

They watched the squirt and the young puppy from the corner of the infirmary, watching the way the young teenager interacted with the month-old puppy," I thought you said this was gonna help him." Dae-Hyun didn't even word it as a question, he said it as a statement that just annoyed him.

The kid looked down at the puppy with a passive look as he picked her up, easily cradling the unweaned animals in his hands.

He grabbed her by the scruff and put her on the floor.

Kang sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck, admitting," I dunno. Doesn't animal therapy help in children hospitals? I figured it would help the kid."

For a few seconds, the only thing he could do was stare at the man in disbelief.

Because to be fair, animal therapy was proven to help patients of all ages, especially when they were stuck in the hospital for the long term.

But that was only with trained grown dogs.

How the fuck was a month-old puppy supposed to help?!

" Sir..." If it wasn't for their ranking, he most definitely would have called the man an idiot and then proceeded to let the major know how exactly he felt about his intelligence.

The puppy plopped down on the floor, struggling to get its limbs under her so she could sit up. She then promptly started to cry, those high-pitched cry's that would have been more than enough for its mother to rush over and dote on them.

Quickly, almost flustered even, the kid grabbed her by the scruff again and put her back onto his lap. It was clear that he was relieved that holding the puppy had quieted her down. The kid was surprisingly gentle as he cradled the puppy against his chest, allowing the little animal to chew on his finger this time around.

Day-Hyun could have sworn that the kid's lips upturned just the slightest before his face was emotionless again.

"You know," Day-Hyun said casually as they watched the kid interact with the puppy he was sure he would have ignored," It really pisses me off how you're technically right."

Major Kang just laughed, thoroughly amused that his roundabout method had gotten the same results," Its going to take a while to confirm his identity and get him back to Korea," He shrugged a shoulder casually as he added on," I figured having something to take care of would help him keep busy."

Hmm. That was a fair point.

The puppy somehow found the energy and strength to nip at the ball of the kid's chin, and the strangled noise that came out, as a result, had the both of them choking down their laughter.

Okay.

Maybe getting the kid a puppy wasn't a bad idea after all.

--------------------

He didn't understand entirely why Major Kang had given him the animal.

Sunny was biting down on his finger, she had grown in the past month and now she had proper teeth that could hurt at times, but as long as he stuck his finger into the space behind her canines, then it wouldn't be teeth but her gum that was biting into him. He let her bite, and she growled enthusiastically as he tried to pull his hand away, much to her joy.