Chapter 12: The Urgency Must be Quelled

You weren’t a great rider. Diluc, who had been the youngest cavalry captain of the Knights of Favonius to date, had taught you the basics of riding in case anything turned up.

You dismounted at Stone Gate. You watched as the white mare drank some water from the river. Diluc had two horses, one belonging to him, and the other used to be Kaeya’s. Something had cropped up between Diluc and the Knights of Favonius. You were away when it happened so you didn’t know what happened. Diluc never mentioned it - and you never asked.

“Ready to go, Pavo?”

Pavo was named as such by Kaeya. Something to do with peacocks, was it?

Dihua Marsh was a little trickier to navigate through. But at last, Pavo’s hoofs stepped onto the area of Wangshu Inn. There were tents everywhere, just like Springvale. And there were sleeping figures. The situation seemed seriously bad in Liyue.

After leaving Pavo tethered to a fence, you headed into the main area of the relief camp.

“Hi there. Are these all victims of the recent meteorite showers?” You asked a man dressed in the standard adventurer’s outfit.

“Are you here to help? Yes, these are all of them. It’s only northern Liyue that has been affected. But nothing in Wuwang Hill or Qingce Village.”

You scanned the crowds of people for any visions. None. “Have you seen two men from the Dawn Winery? Delivering wine from Mondstadt to Liyue Harbour. They should have passed by.”

“Dawn Winery…yes, I think I heard that name being spoken. A man came running down and told us his partner had collapsed. Some adventurers helped the two men back. The goods were spoiled, unfortunately, and one of them seems to have succumbed to sleep.”

“Can you take me to them?”

“Sure can.”

The man led you through a bunch of people. “That’ll be them. I do apologise, but I have other things to be getting to.” And with that, he left.

A man, who’s attire was clearly Mondstadtian, was kneeling down next to a sleeping man. He looked up. “Miss Y/N! I must apologise, the delivery goods have been ruined. It’s a long story, but Fritz, he - he just fell when we were on the way from Mondstadt, and-”

“Are you alright, Ben?”

“Me? I’m fine - it should be Fritz you’re worried about!”

“Don’t worry about the goods. That is a trivial matter when compared to this. Per Adelinde’s concerns, I came from Mondstadt to try and find you. You two have been gone a while, you know.”

“Two weeks…yeah.”

“I know how to get rid of the meteors here. Do you know any vision wielders around here?”

“No, I haven’t seen any.”

“Just sit tight. Hopefully I’ll be able to wake some of the people here.”

***

You left and hopped onto Pavo. You rode around the outskirts of the marsh, paying attention to when your vision would light. It was a repetitive process, getting off and on the horse and collecting shards, and tedious too. It was nearing dinnertime when you seemed to collect all the shards affecting the area.

Rain pattered onto the smooth rock ground. The meteors shattered. And you lent on a tree, trying to recollect your energy. You shut your eyes for a little, trying to get rid of the growing headache.

You awoke to a stern voice somewhere nearby. “…If I can see you, so can everybody else. Leave.”

A blurred figure was talking to another. The other turned away and soon faded from your view.