2

I looked at my watch as I waited for Max at my car. I noticed her talking to a few boys before she finally walked over to me. 

"How was your day?" I asked as we both got into my car. 

"It was fine," She responded throwing her bag into the back. "Were you late this morning?" She turned to me as I started the car and tried to avoid the conversation. "Beth, did he hurt you?" 

"I'm fine Max. Don't worry about me." I began to drive us home and Max turned on the radio. "Make any new friends today?" 

"Oh uh, just some guys that play DnD." I smiled over at her and she looked away. "Don't get sappy, they won't even let me join their campaign." 

"Why not?" 

"Because one of them has a jealous girlfriend, I don't know." She crossed her arms and we continued in silence. I pulled onto our road and noticed dad's car still in the driveway. I parked on the street and we began inside. Billy was working out in the living room and looked back at us as we walked inside. Max and I walked into the kitchen and there were empty beer bottles all over the place. 

"Your mom must be working," I said quietly as Max and I grabbed the bottles and began throwing them away. I heard footsteps walk into the kitchen and turned to see dad. 

"Sorry, are we being too loud?" I asked as he opened the fridge. 

"No, I just need a drink." He grabbed out a bottle before handing it to me to open it. "I'm sorry about this morning, Lizzy." I handed him the bottle back as I continued cleaning up. He walked back to his room and I sat at the kitchen table to start homework. Max sat next to me as she worked on her DnD character. I looked up at her work and smiled. 

"Max, I want to tell you something." She looked up at me and brushed her wild red hair out of her eyes. "I have a date tonight." She smiled at me before leaning closer. 

"With who?" She asked with excitement in her eyes. 

"Steve Harrington." 

"Like the guy that Billy doesn't like?" I nodded and she started to laugh. "Good, I hope Billy pisses himself." We both began laughing before dad walked back out into the kitchen. We both stopped.

"Can't you two ever listen and not make nose?" He asked grabbing my shoulder, digging his fingers into my skin. He reached to put a hand on Max and I quickly stepped in front of her and he pushed me to the ground. 

"Max, go to your room," I said gently and she quickly got up and ran into her room. 

"You think you can protect her, Elizabeth?" He was now leaning over me and I felt the fear building in my chest. 

"She's just a kid, dad." My voice was shaky and I tried to settle it. He grabbed my arm and pulled me off the ground before pushing me into the wall. The stinging pain in my ribs came back and I tried to hide my pain. 

"Don't talk back to me, Elizabeth." He raised his hand to hit me and I closed my eyes as the searing pain radiated through my face. He let go of my arms and I opened my eyes to watch him leave the house. Billy walked into the kitchen as I slide down to the floor. He looked at me on the ground before opening the freezer. He grabbed a bag of frozen peas and through it to me, before grabbing whatever he came in here for. I picked myself off the floor and grabbed my things before walking to my bedroom. I shut the door before looking at myself in the mirror. My cheek was already turning red from the force. I laid on my bed and kept the icy bag to my cheek to try and stop the swelling. 

I woke up to a knocking on my door and quickly opened it to see Max standing outside of it. 

"Hey," I said quietly and she noticed my face.