6

"Beth, are you awake?" Max asked from the other side of the door as I stared at myself in the mirror. 

"I'll be out in a few minutes." I took off my sweatshirt and noticed the swollen bruises on my shoulders from the desk. I quickly found a black sweater and some jeans and put them on. I covered the bruises on my face the best I could before brushing through my hair. I walked out into the hallway, surprised by the smell. Pancakes. 

"Mom made breakfast," Max said as she walked out of her room. She was carrying her project and put it with our things by the front door. I followed her. 

"Are you trick or treating tonight?" 

"Uh, I was going to ask if you could cover for me so I could go with my friends?" I smiled. 

"I was going to ask you to be my cover, so yea." We walked into the kitchen and Susan looked up at me, then back at dad who was smoking at the table. "Goodmorning, Dad." 

"It is a good morning, Lizzy." He looked up at me and put his arm out. "How bout a hug from my girl?" I looked down at Max who had terror in her eyes. I moved to give him a hug and he was surprisingly calm. Max did the same before we all sat at the table. Billy walked into the kitchen and let out a laugh. 

"I see we are a family this morning." He sat down across from me as Susan handed us our plates. I picked at my food as I tried not to think about last night too much. I watched as Max finished her breakfast before I got up. 

"I have to be at school early, so Max, if you're ready we should go." 

"Lizzy, sit down. You didn't even eat." Dad stared at me with his demanding stare and I slowly sat down. "So, what is everyone doing tonight? Halloween." 

"I'm going to a party," Billy said before looking over at me. 

"What about you two?" 

"I'm going to take Max trick or treating, then we are going to Robin's after to watch some movies." 

"Sounds nice." I took two more bites before feeling sick. He looked down at my plate that back at me. "Better, you can go now." I quickly got up and took Max and I's plates and put them in the sink before walking to the door.

"Why does he suddenly care if you eat or not?" Max asked as we got into the car. I shrugged before starting the car and driving to school. We pulled into the parking lot and I noticed Steve talking to Tommy, Tina, and Nancy. I walked Max over to the middle school, where her friends were waiting for her, dressed as Ghost Busters. 

"I love the costumes," I said as we approached them. 

"Thank you," A boy with brown curly hair smiled. "I'm Dustin." He extended his hand out to me and I took it. 

"It's nice to meet you." I felt a presence behind me and turned to see Steve was waiting behind me. "Well, have a good day today. Max, I'll see you after school and we can go straight to Robin's." She waved bye before they walked into the school. I sharply inhaled before turning to Steve. 

"I'm so sorry about last night, Elizabeth. I don't know what came over me." 

"I'm your girlfriend, what does it matter what you do with me." I continued past him, trying to get to the school, but he grabbed my hand pulling me towards him. There was a sharp pinch in my shoulder as it shifted towards him. 

"Elizabeth, I would never do anything you don't want me to. Are you ok?" He must have noticed the way my face was twisted as the pain radiated through me. I pulled my hand from his. 

"I just need to get to class." I began walking away before turning to him. I guess we have to act like we like each other. I quickly walked back over to him and pressed a kiss to his lips. "I'll see you later." The day felt like minutes as I just wanted to be somewhere that wasn't a ticking time bomb. School was the only place I could feel any kind of safety. It was lunchtime before I knew it and I saw Robin and Steve laughing at something when I walked into the cafeteria.