9

I looked around the cafeteria for Elizabeth, but I couldn't find her anywhere. She wasn't at her locker this morning nor was she in Trig. Tommy and Carol waved me over to their table and I noticed Nancy sitting there also. I shuffled over to their table and sat down for a minute. 

"So, where is your girlfriend?" Tommy asked looking from Nancy to me. "A little birdy told me you might have some side action going on?" I looked down at my hands before even thinking about responding. I felt horrible for hurting Elizabeth. She has already been through so much, I should have never done this to her. 

"She's sick and no," I looked over at Nancy, "There is no side action going on." I noticed Robin looking over at me from her table and she gave me a slight wave. "I have to go." I got up and walked over to Robin. She looked worried and I sat across from her. "Still no word about Elizabeth?"

"I tried to ask Billy, but he wouldn't say. Something doesn't feel right, Steve." I could tell how worried she was because she was shoveling her Chex Mix into her mouth instead of sorting it like usual. 

"I'll go over and check on her," I stood up from the table and Robin looked up at me. 

"Steve, that's not a good idea. Her family, well, they aren't the nicest people. If her dad's home, he won't let you anywhere near her." Her dad? That has to be why she had all of those bruises.

"I'm stealthy," I started and her eyes got wide. "No one will hear me, I promise." She nodded her head along and got up too. 

"I'm coming with you. I haven't heard from her all weekend and it's really bothering me." We walked out of the cafeteria together and Robin grabbed her things from her locker. Elizabeth wouldn't miss school like this. Not without telling Robin so she could get her work for her. Robin and I walked out to my car before heading to Elizabeth's house. Her car was parked in front of the house, but that was the only one. "Park down the street a little further." 

Once I parked, Robin and I got out and she walked up to the front door as I walked around back. I peered into the first two windows, which clearly weren't hers. 

"Nobody answered the front door," Robin whispered as she walked around to me. Robin pointed to the window. "That one is hers." I got on my tiptoes to look into the room, but could barely see anything. 

"Get on my shoulder," I suggested to Robin. 

"Seriously?" She asked and I nodded yes. I crouched down and she threw her legs around the back of my neck. I got up and walked up to the window. I heard her knock on the window. "I think she is laying in bed. Let me just..." I looked up and saw her pushing the window open. "Just like her to have her window unlocked." Robin propped herself up on the side of the window before climbing through it. She looked down at me and reached her hand for me. 

"Is she in there?" I asked. She turned and looked before looking back down at me. 

"Yea, I'm not sure why she hasn't heard us." I backed up a little, motioning Robin to move out of the way before running and jumping up onto the windowsill. Robin pulled me in as I quietly stepped through the window. 

"See stealthy, like a ninja." Robin smiled at me before climbing out the window. "What are you doing?" 

"You two need to talk first. I know things didn't go well on Friday." She jumped out the window and ran back around the house. I turned around to look at Elizabeth's bed, which she was laying in, completely covered. I gently sat next to her and the movement jolted her up. She pulled the earbuds off her head, her eyes were wide, and looked scared. Her face where all sorts of shades of purple and green. She had a giant gash under her eye and her eyes were teary and bloodshot.