Sixteen

Malik

Today is another day of satisfaction. I and the gang have just found out a while ago that Tana and the Chinito guy are not dating but preparing for a birthday surprise for Tana's best friend.

So in total, quits lang kami ng lalaking inakala kong karibal ko. Kung kaya't panay ang reklamo ng mga ungas kong kasama kanina dahil wala na raw thrill.

Their dissatisfaction is the opposite of what I have felt. But more than just the triumph of knowing that Tana is not entertaining anybody, I have come to realizations.

Maybe the months of just trying to get her attention have to come to an end. Perhaps, persuasion has to begin.

And that snatches the joy I am celebrating.

How to win a woman's heart? Specifically, how to win Tana's heart?

Keeper was right from the beginning. To make Tana trust me is beyond what I have imagined. My charms aren't working for her, and that's the real challenge here.

Kung kaya't heto ako ngayon, sa study room ni Daddy to ask him what should I do.

Kumatok ako sa pintuan ng ng study room niya ng tatlong beses bago pumasok.

I inwardly cursed. Did I just adopt what Tana usually does whenever she is about to enter my office?

Nang makapasok ako ay agad akong sinalubong ng nagtatakang titig ni daddy.

He put down the papers he was reading a while ago and removed his glasses. "You should have asked your mother first," panimula nito. Sa pananalita palang ng ama ay halata na sa himig nito na alam na agad nito ang sadya niya.

Kaya mas lalo pa siyang kinabahan. Paano ba naman kasi, malinaw na binalaan siya ng mama niya noon. Baka nga hindi makapagpigil ito at tarakan siya ng kutsilyo sa lalamunan.

"But dad, I quit playing already. I am dead serious when it comes to her." I said with a solemn voice.

He looked at me with a blank face. Karma ba ang tawag dito kung hindi na magawang maniwala ng mga tao sa paligid ko na seryoso ako sa isang tao?

Fuck.

"Who is this person you are referring to?" Malamig na tanong ni Daddy.

"Tana. My secretary," I answered in a firm tone.

"You are not serious about her Sage, I am telling you," sabi nito at muling dinampot ang mga papeles kaninang inilapag at ipinagpatuloy ang ginagawa.

"But dad, believe me. Seryoso nga ako sa kaniya," pagpupumilit ko.

Iritado itong tumingin sa akin. Bagay na bihira lamang mangyari.

"How serious Sage? Do you know even know her?" Malamig nitong turan.

I sat on one of the couches. "Yes, dad. I know what she likes, what she hates and her everyday routine," sabi ko naman.

Dumagundong ang halakhak ni Daddy sa loob ng opisina na akala mo ay nakapanood ng isang palabas na lubhang nakakatawa. Naguguluhan naman akong tumingin sa kaniya.

"Son, you just know some things about her and not her entirely." Sabi nito.

My forehead creased with confusion.

"Knowing a woman is not about being aware of the things she likes and hates son. Because those things are the only things that could change from time to time. You might like an apple today but might be orange tomorrow," sabi nito na labis nagbigay ng kalituhan sa akin.

"Do you know her past? How about her present? How about her plans for the future? The things you know are just temporary. What you don't know are the things that completely define who Sultana Gonzales Aragon is." Dagdag nito.