FIFTEEN

Toph's arrival came only a day after Akira's investigation of the place where the assault in Sokka's team happened. She was set to come during the morning, so Akira headed to the port right after his morning training. The sun was unforgiving even this early on in the morning, the golden gates of Azulon glimmering in the light as the ship he could only hope contained Toph got closer to shore. He was on his own, without any guards to help him protect his guest, and even though he had been hesitant about having no group with him, Zuko had been quick to assure him that Toph was so powerful she maybe didn't even need his own protection there. In his words, any attack was set up for failure, so that had calmed him down. He had only taken a giant eel hound with him so that he and Toph would have a means to get to the palace quicker.

Akira had seen Toph last years ago, but Zuko had assured him prior that there was no chance his memory would fail him for she looked exactly the same way she did back then. She wore the same colors, her hairstyle was the same. There was no way he could miss her, he had said. And now, as he watched those leaving the ship, he realized Zuko couldn't have been more right.

Toph had not changed at all indeed. Anyone would have realized she was from the Earth Kingdom by her green, light yellow and white attire, and he was certain she was Toph for he had not seen a woman before in his life walking with less grace than she did. Part of him wondered how could a childhood with parents that ensured she was pampered at all times and that she acted using all appropriate for her status etiquette have had no evidence on her now. If he hadn't known of her family's wealth, he would have never guessed she was the only heir to it.

As he noticed Toph had left the ship and had moved to the side, waiting, he left his giant eel hound and walked over.

"Toph!"

She instantly snapped her head towards him. Her bangs had grown longer, he noted at once. They covered half of her face now, and as he came to a stop in front of her, he had trouble reading her expression.

"I hope your journey to the Fire Nation had no turbulences," he smiled even though he knew she couldn't see him. He took a step back. "I was asked to lead you to the palace. I have a giant eel hound we can take."

"You do sound sincere," she mused. "You seem familiar."

"That's because we have met before," he pointed out as he started heading to the giant eel hound waiting for him. He glanced behind him to ensure she was following and paid no heed to the civilians watching him with hardly veiled curiosity. "My name's Akira. We first met during the war, before Sozin's comet. In Ember Island, should you remember, after that dreadful play-"

"Oh yes," she cut him off. "I sensed you talking to Zuko."

"That you did – can I help you up the giant eel hound?"

"Sure." Akira helped her mount it. "So Zuko trusts you now?"

"I am one of his advisors," he explained as he got on the giant eel hound as well and reached for the reins. "One of the people in his inner circle, actually. Please, hold on."

Toph instantly reached forward to grab his clothes and so he started heading to the palace. He thought his diplomatic response had been adequate. Toph, however, still had questions.

"That's quite the status you hold. I thought you were Azula's friend. Why did he trust you?"

"Because of Mai," he admitted, having to raise his voice to ensure she heard him. In no mood to have his status questioned, he cleared his throat and changed the subject. "Do you know the reason Zuko has asked you to be here?"

"Not a clue."

They remained silent for the rest of their ride to the palace. As he had done a few days ago, Zuko was waiting for Toph at the steps of the plaza, Mai by his side, only this time Sokka was also present. The moment Akira stopped Sokka called out her name.