3.

Evelyn and I sit on the top of the car that has turned into a pile of scrap metal, but we lay on our backs like it's a comfortable bed. The sky has turned to a night full of stars and galaxies. She points at a shooting star and we both close our eyes to make a wish; I wish for every night to be as beautiful as it is now. After my wish, I look over at Evelyn. Her appearance shocks me and I scoot myself back. Her eyes are pitch-black and blood pours out of them. She gets onto her hands and knees and starts crawling towards me in a demented sort of way - something that you would see in a horror movie. Her shoulders contort out of their sockets and her elbows point unnaturally sideways. She shuffles over to me on her knees and her head cocks sideways. "Why did you kill me?" she says in a demonic-like voice.

I wake up to my phone beeping and open my eyes to see my room enveloped in darkness and the bag of pretzels has spilled on the floor. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in and start gasping from my nightmare. When did I fall asleep?

I squint my eyes as I unlock my phone and see a text from Hannah, then look at the time. It's a quarter past seven o'clock at night. I do my best to recover from my nightmare as I'm supposed to be back at Hannah's at eight. The nightmares started happening just after Evie died and no doctor or medicine could get rid of them.

I slowly get up and get changed, wincing as I pull my shorts up over my bandaged wounds. I straighten out my hair, line my eyes with black, put on mascara and add some color to my pale lips. Hannah won't mind if I'm fashionably late.

"Hey!" Hannah says as I walk into the apartment using the spare key she gave me.

I look at Hannah and she's wearing skin-tight jeans, heels, and a lime green tank top that compliments her olive skin tone.

"You look great!" I say to her, instantly forgetting about earlier today and my nightmare as soon as I walk into her apartment. I already can feel myself getting into a better mood.

"Did you eat dinner?" she says as she makes her way to the kitchen. "I got us pizza."

We call a cab to pick us up, and while we wait, we eat the pizza while sitting on the counters in Hannah's kitchen. She rambles on about how she and that guy, Jacob, from the club last night exchanged numbers and tells me everything she knows about him. I try my best to show interest.

"Enough about that. So, what happened when you got home, dare I ask?" She takes another bite of her pizza.

I smile and shake my head as I set my half-eaten slice back into the pizza box. "The usual. Mom freaked out at me being out all night, then extra for missing my dad's birthday." I roll my eyes and huff. I lick the pizza grease off my fingers and then grab a napkin. "Long story short, I won the fight, as usual," I line up my shot and throw the napkin into the trashcan across the kitchen. "She tried to guilt-trip me again." I set my hands back into my lap.

Hannah talks with her mouth full, "Lil, maybe you should give your parents a break, they're hurting just as much as you are, you know."

"I'm fine. They're fine," I accidentally snap at Hannah, then sigh. "I just want to forget about today. Is that too much to ask?"

Hannah gets off the counter and throws away her trash. "No, that's fine. Whatever you need to do," she looks back at me with a careful smile. "I'm here for you."

"I know, and I appreciate your concern, but really, I'm doing okay." I smile lightly.

"Okay," Hannah nods. "Good."

"I need another drink!" I say as I grab Hannah's hand and drag her to the bar at the club for the third time tonight.

I wave down the bartender to get his attention and order our drinks. Once I grab them, I hand Hannah hers and hold my drink up.