Chapter 4 The Hang Up

You wake up early and run into your mom while pouring yourself a cup of coffee.

"You know that you need to start applying for colleges soon. Do you have a list?" you mother asks accusingly

"Yes I do. I have six colleges I want to apply to. And I just started filling out the first one so far." You casually take a sip of your coffee, hoping the answer will satisfy her.

"We'll, that is good. You also seem to be doing better in school. That will help with getting into more colleges. Maybe this fiasco brought some good to the family." she gives you a smile that seemed forced

What a bitch.

You quickly pour your coffee down the sink, leaving the cup inside.

You grab your book bag and leave the house before you say anything you regret. Between home and school you can't seem to get any reprieve.

Since you arrived to school early you review your notes you made about chapter 2 of The Picture of Dorian Gray while in the library.

You hear a familiar voice in the hallway that is undeniably Jason. He is talking to his friends.

He notices you watching him. For a couple of seconds you both are looking at each other.

One of your favorite memories of Jason and you immediately came into your mind.

It was last spring when you both were parked in some random corn field making out listening to "Heaven" by Bryan Adams on the radio. At one point he looks at you and tells you that he loves you. You remember being surprised but still happy.

"Jason sweetie!"

The moment is interrupted by Chrissy Cunningham hugging him and giving him a kiss within your line of vision.

You grab your things and leave the library.

The only place you can get away from exes and old friends is the side courtyard.

The side courtyard is where the burn outs and weirdos like to hang out. It's usually filled with cigarette smoke and inside jokes that never make sense.

You find a spot on the bench and try to review your notes in peace.

"I see we meet again y/n." Eddie is smiling at you

"Wow, small world. I promise I'm not following you." you give a cheesy grin

You then notice Eddie is standing with a couple other friends who look at you suspiciously.

Eddie introduces you to his friends and they give you a casual hello.

The first period bell rings.

"Guess I'll be going, see you Eddie"

"I'll see you y/n. If you ever need me you know where to find me." Eddie says while having his arm outstretched.

School is finally over. You pour yourself a glass of soda and take it to your bedroom. Once there you take your hidden bottle of vodka under the bed and pour in a generous amount.

You take a sip and sit on your bed.
You take out your keepsake box and open it to admire the treasures you stored. Old plastic bracelets, marbles, and photographs. You look at the picture of you and your friends from fifth grade at a birthday party. Everyone in a tight circle smiling from ear to ear. Then you find another photo of you and Jason at last years spring dance along with the dried out corsage.

You finish your drink and then pour yourself a shot of vodka. You down it. It burns in your throat but it feels satisfying. The need to feel something made you pour another shot.

You pick up the phone and dial Jason. The phone rings twice and you hear his voice.

"Hello"

"Hello"

"Who is this? What do you want?"

You hang up the phone.

You put on your cassette tape to play "Heaven" by Bryan Adams

Despite all you been through, you still want to think of happier times with somebody who tossed you aside.

"Baby you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven
And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven"