You have wisdom beyond your years

Chapter Two

"Looking for volunteers"

I sighed heavily, staring at the paper in my hands.

Testing on Caroline had already begun. Soon she would not longer be Caroline. She would be GLaDOS. The Genetic LifeForm and Disk Operating System.

I was surprised by the idea, but when they started asking for more people.......... I hesitated. Was this what I wanted? To be an android? If Caroline was brave enough to do it, wasn't I?

And if I did accept, who would I be? Would I be important, like Caroline? Or would I still be ignored? Would I even still be Wheatley?

I sighed again and rubbed my forehead. What was I thinking? The very idea of turning people into robots was mad! ............ But strangely brilliant. To be an android was an interesting thought to entertain.

"Uncle Wheatley?"

"Gah!" I jumped and shoved the paper into a desk drawer, crushing my fingers on the way out. "Ow.... Yes, love?" I said, with a pained expression.

"Are you okay? You looked sad." Her eyes were so wide and innocent. She had no idea that the world around was going to change very soon.

"I'm fine," I replied, "Perfectly fine. How're you?"

She shrugged. "I'm okay."

"Did your dad drop you off again?"

"Uh huh. Is that okay?"

"It's brilliant!" I replied, "I'm needing the company right now."

Her face brightened. "Okay!" She plopped down right next to me and stared up at the computer screen. "What are you working on?" she asked.

I chuckled. "I'm not sure you'd understand if I told you."

An offended look drew across her face.

"Erm, that is. I- I don't really understand it either."

This was in fact true, but the little girl just shrugged it off. "Do you want a muffin?" she asked, reaching into a brown paper bag she held.

"I would actually," I said with a smile. She placed a banana nut muffin in my hand and started eating hers. "How are your potato batteries coming along?" I asked, half teasingly.

She shook her head. "Not good. I don't think they're big enough."

"Well," I scoffed, "I suppose we'll just have to tell them to buck up a bit or we'll toss them."

She smiled and returned to eating.

I swiveled my chair back around to my desk. My eyes slowly drifted to the drawer where I had hurriedly shoved away my paper. I couldn't focus on my work anymore; I couldn't even remember what I was working on.

I slowly turned back to Chell. "Hey love. Could I ask you a question?"

"Mm hm," she nodded.

"Now, I know you won't really understand and I can't tell you what's going on. But if you were offered an opportunity to do something incredible and different and amazing, but you're afraid of what would happen to you, would you take it?"

She smiled. "What a silly question, Uncle Wheatley," she commented, "I would say go for it. But be careful. You should check the pros and cons of the situation before you jump in. You could destroy your entire life just as easily as you could change the world for the better. Check yourself before you wreak yourself."

I nodded. "You know, love, you've got too much knowledge for a girl your age. Do you think I could borrow some?"

"No!"

I leapt up from my chair. "Are you sure about that?" I swept her up into my arms and spun her around. Her screaming - giggles echoed through the hallway.

"Put me down!" she squealed.

I pretend cackled, then sat us both down in my desk chair. Chell snuggled up next to me. "I'm so glad I know you Uncle Wheatley."

"Is that so? Well, I'm glad to have met you."

"You're my best friend," she said sincerely.

"And you're mine."

"Can I tell you a secret?" she whispered.

"Sure."

She struggled up and pulled my ear close to her mouth. "You're my only friend," she said even quieter.

"You know what? You're mine."

She smiled and laid against me as I continued to type. In moments, she was asleep.

I could faintly feel her heartbeat against my chest.

In that moment was the most sincere I had ever been with a person. This little girl was my best friend. She was my only friend and I hers.

I gently opened the drawer again, took out the paper, crumpled it up, and threw it in the nearby garbage can.

I didn't need "upgrades." I didn't to be important. All I need was a friend, and I had all the friends I would ever need in the little girl sleeping on my chest. I had my friend in Chell. What more could I need?