a hope in hell ───── iv.

(𝟏x𝟎𝟒)

(𝟏x𝟎𝟒)

               ───── YOU WISH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HUMANS.

It felt sensible for Disturbia, the one they named "of the Earth", to wish for more knowledge about the inhabitants of the Waking World. The ones that had gifted her the blessing of life. Seeing as the Universe had condemned her to create chaos and walk amongst havoc, there was little she could offer in retribution for the most excellent present they had given her ─────creation, as opposed to her destructive nature. As such, she decided to forbid herself from more ignorance and learn the very essence of those little creatures who Dream and his siblings ruled over.

They sat by the fireplace, inside the Emerald Room. The place was a solarium-esque chamber with a green aesthetic decorating its most essential details. From the juniper-coloured curtains to the cushions in a dark shade of basil, Athenodora lost herself amongst pillows and blankets as her limbs found themselves tangled with the different-looking fabrics. On her lap, there was a small leather notebook where she writes down questions and answers.

───── The one piece of information you should always carry with you is that humans are predictable, repetitive, and stubborn creatures. They will hold on to their own selfish beliefs with an iron grip. And will only let go if death threatens to take them. ───── Dream was occupying the velvety armchair a few steps away from her. Close enough that she could reach his knee with the tip of her fingers if the girl wished to do so. In his hands, a book lay open, one which held details about human emotions and all their colours. ───── Don't be mistaken, my lady. Resoluteness and certainty are not bad traits for one to carry. In fact, determination can be quite the weapon against an opponent. Yet one must know when it's time to give up and admit when they are wrong.

───── Most humans don't seem to be able to do that. ───── Noted Athenodora, head tilted sideways while listening attentively to that soothing voice of his.

───── No, my lady. They don't. ───── Morpheus seemed pleased at her attentiveness, rewarding his pupil with a sincere smile. ───── Perseverance, if excessively fed, walks hand to hand with desire. It is not surprising that my own sibling thrives amongst mortals, since their presence is very much constant in Man's lives. Ambition, greediness, gluttony; all these definitions surround human determination.

There was a question sitting at the back of Athenodora's head that she didn't dare to ask, yet curiosity was pricking her skin like a badly sown blouse. It escaped from her lips without the girl even noticing it. ───── What about lust?

Morpheus answered her with the same intensity.

───── What about it?

Bending the fabric of her skirt in strange shapes, Athenodora's cheekbones rouged at the intent behind his inquisition. Gone were the raindrops that were tapping against the gigantic windows of the room like fingertips pressing onto piano tiles. The fire that scorched before her reflecting irises seemed to evaporate all the water pouring from the sky. Either that or simply the burning stare that Morpheus so gently pressed against her skin like hot iron. Burning her. Marking her. Scarring her skin until it became indisputably his.