Chapter 5: Get Into Character

I woke up to the beautiful sound of my alarm clock ringing that day. I slowly slid out of bed. I felt tired and dragged down. My mom had to carry me to the bathroom to get me too brush my teeth.

"Week 4 of the competition" She grinned while brushing her teeth. I tried to smile, but to be honest I wasn't really that excited.

I didn't tell my mom or anybody but I kind of wanted to go home. My mom wouldn't want to hear ANY OF IT. She wanted me to desperately win that $100,000. I wanted to win it too but I was kind of bored.

So that morning, I waited for breakfast and then made my way to the competition. It was more exciting 2 weeks ago. Now it's like a routine.

~~~~Arriving~~~~

"Heyy!" Jordyn laughed while creeping up on me. I waved to her then started warming up and stretching.

Abby walked into the room and I smiled as bright as I could and assembled myself into a line.

"Good morning!" Abby shouted and waved.

"Good morning!" We all shout back.

"Congratulations on surviving another week of Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition" Kevin clapped.

We found out the dances this week were duets. I grimaced and my cheeks flushed a bright shade of red.

"This weeks challenge prize is...." We all held our breath waiting for it to be good or not- so good.

"The winner of the challenge gets to pick their duet partner" Kevin announced. My jaw dropped and I turned to look at Zack and Madison.

Jordyn tapped my shoulder and gave me a smile. I immediately wanted to be partnered with her so we could to a Hip-Hop solo or Jazz Funk!

Our choreographer Kitty McNamee came in and told us about the dance. She also told us to think of a time in our lives when we didn't fit in.

I had a lot of moments actually, so I really channeled it into this dance. We got far into the dance and had 10 minutes remaining.

When Abby walked in I quietly groaned. I acted as if I was alone and scared. To be honest, it's kind of what this competition felt like anyway.

The music stopped and I waited to hear what Abby had to say.

"Remember what the challenge is, it's about a character, your story, do I see tears are you making laugh are you making me smile?"

"Hadley, outstanding job again, you were in it to win it"

"Tua, the face was secondary for you, I watched you looking at everybody to see what to do next"

"Asia, OUTSTANDING facials right at the beginning, she looked me in the eyes, she reached both hands forward and took me into her world"

"Lexine, you were bringing it, can you tell me who your character was?" Abby demanded to know.

"My character was that I was being left out, I just thought of letting everything go, I'm just gonna move on, but I still need to fight" Lexine answered.

I did a small clap for her because I thought her answer was very inspiring.

"Brianna, what was your story?" Abby asked. Brianna had dark bags sagging under her eyes and her face looked sad and tired.

"Um at school sometimes..." Brianna choked up and started crying. I saw her mother Kris sigh and looked like she was about to cry.

Zack gripped her shoulders and gave her a hug, resting her head on his shoulders.