Chapter 7

(A/N: Aloha hoa! 🌸 Thank you VERY much for the comments and votes, it motivates me to write more and more 😊. This story is unique to me, because its core is my own idea, which has been in my head for years, and only now I've figured out to write fanfiction for it. I am very happy that there are people who like it and read it with pleasure. For those who are willing, I am adding a link to the playlist created especially for this story. 💚https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5qIiHVv20K0rP6ymsNRfIq?si=8feb5c1aafdb4074 💚 Enjoy! )

It was, in a word, a massacre. Ellen lay a few steps from the fire and screamed. Several women circled her; among others aunt Samantha and your mother. The rest of the people were clearly terrified, they crowded around the dying fire, not knowing what to do. Younger children began to cry, and some men, maybe touched by some pattern in their genes, trotted back and forth. As if each of them waited for the birth of their own child. The only things missing were the cigars in their mouths and the puffs of smoke rising above their heads.

Fortunately, Geong was with there. By the time you got to Ellen, you could already see from a distance that Yautja was very comfortable with the situation.

'There are enough people there.' Othiel remarked, striding beside you. A few moments earlier, he had expressed his disapproval of your idea of ​​joining the birthing event. 'Besides, Geong could do it by himself.'

'Has he ever delivered a baby?' You asked doubtfully. 'Are you even viviparous?'

'We are born from eggs. However, this does not mean that Geong will not be able to handle it. He certainly has extensive knowledge of childbirth, he's keenly interested in ... biology, as you call it.'

You stopped, frowning. 'And how do you call it?'

For a moment he wondered how to translate this into your language. 'Life.'

'We also use this term as a substitute for the word biology.'

'Really? ' You truly surprised him. 'I did not know.'

You breathed theatrically. 'Phew, I'm relieved there's something you don't know about Earth. I already thought you were a terrible nerd.'

Othiel frowned, this time utterly puzzled, but before you could explain to him who the nerd is, aunt Samantha stopped you. 'Please go away!' She called as you approached Ellen. 'We don't want onlookers here. It certainly won't help that poor lass.'

'Aunt!' You exclaimed indignantly. 'We wanted to help.'

'We have enough hands to help. If you want to be of any use, you better keep an eye on Lilia's kids. Thank the gods and goddesses that she was once a midwife, now she helps our court medic.' The aunt pointed to Geong and Lila bustling with the giving birth woman.

'Your aunt's right.' Othiel pulled you toward the fire that someone had started again. 'We'll watch the children.'

Lila was married to one of the dead guards. Perhaps it was good that Ellen was giving birth now, thanks to which the former midwife had a moment to distract herself from the grief after the loss of her husband. Unfortunately, the same could not be said for her children.

Sebastian and Clarie sat sadly by the fire. The boy was about twelve years old, the girl a year maybe two younger. They were not the only children who lost one of their parents in the attack of the savages on your hideout, also Rose, Mark's five-year-old daughter suffered from it, but at the moment she had her mother, Bea and Elijah with her. Lilia's kids were left to fend for themselves. There was too much turmoil in the camp for anyone to notice.