Chapter 6

You spent the night in the open air, hidden in the bushes near the diming factory remains. It had stopped raining, but it was still wet and cold everywhere. You were afraid that although you managed to survive the attack of the savages, now you will all fall ill with pneumonia. It is true that some blankets, fabrics, mats, and everything that could have been used as insulation against the cold night, were recovered, but that was still not enough.

The next morning Aunt Samantha got some of her pots and metal mugs, some canned goods and a lot of herbal soap out of the site of the fire, which made her feel much better. Many people were still rummaging around in the wreckage, hoping to find something that might be of use to you; even the older kids accompanied their parents in this search, the younger ones were under your care. You were sitting under a tree and trying to keep an eye on them. Fortunately, they were too scared to go crazy. They were just playing meekly, trying to shove the rat back into its cage, which had somehow survived the fire. Elijah, your cousin's little boy, just sat next to you, saying little. This was unusual for a three-year-old, you felt he must be in shock.

Ellen and Myra were sitting a little further away, cutting bedding scraps to pieces to make a supply of menstrual pads. Aunt Samantha started lighting a fire to cook a hot breakfast for all of you. Geong, at your request, went out to scout to see if there was any group of savages lurking nearby. You've lost sight of Othiel, but you knew he most certainly he hasn't lost sight of you.

An unpleasant voice interrupted your observations. 'Have you seen Eliza?' It was Anton, Eliza's infamous spouse. He hovered over you like an executioner, hands on his hips. His expression, posture, and tone of voice suggested that it was your fault that he couldn't find her. You haven't exchanged a word with him since your conversation with Eliza during the laundry, actually you had never talked much, but from then on, you had the feeling that Anton was consciously avoiding you, or rather, haughtily pretending that you didn't exist. You only got it now, because you never really paid too much attention to him. Had Eliza told him everything you thought about him?

'No,' you answered briefly, truthfully.'Really?' He said, drawing the vowels sarcastically. He folded his arms over his chest, staring at you. 'And I think you know, you just don't want to tell me.' He spoke softly enough that no one could hear him except you and little Elijah, who, however, was still in a stupor and didn't care much about what you were talking about.

You frowned. It was necessary to get to the bottom of this matter as soon as possible. 'What do you mean?'

'You know very well. You're rebelling my wife against me. You put some feminist nonsense to her empty head, which makes her feel like a eight wonder of the world ... She's starting to stand up to me, expressing her "opinions" ...' he snorted making quotation marks in the air. 'I warn you to stop this, otherwise ...' He broke off, apparently not wanting to openly threaten you.

You got up, with difficulty, but you couldn't let him loom over you. He was a lot taller anyway, but you could bear the twenty-centimetre difference.

'Otherwise what? You're gonna beat me too, like her?' You said softly. Like him, you didn't want anyone to interfere with your "chat."

'You are walking on thin ice, (y/n) ...' he hissed. 'You think that when you have this devil by your side, you are allowed to do all this?'

'Yes. I think so,' you admitted grinning broadly. 'Look, man. It is not a question of views. If you have trouble controlling your anger, say so, we can all help you. A conscious man does not sweep his weaknesses under the carpet, but watches them carefully and tries to find their source. Think seriously about yourself, because I cannot allow anyone in our group to be hurt.'