Autumn Leaves

Nightmare?

No, nothing good starts in a getaway car.

"Don't let go," she ran through the hotel with one hand clutching her sequined silver dress as the other gripped the hand, leading her away. She looked up, smiling as two bright ice blue eyes kept her attention.

X marks the spot where we fell apart

He poisoned the well, I was lying to myself

Behind her, she heard a man yelling her name, several footsteps chasing after them. Her heels clicked against the sidewalk as she was dragged into a 1954 ruby red Corvette. She watched as the men chasing her stopped in the street where her car flew down. Her curls whipped around her as her getaway driver pulled onto the highway.

You were drivin' the getaway car

We were flyin', but we'd never get far

When she woke up trapped between two muscled tanned arms, she could feel the safety even if it was fleeting. They were always running. Running from the man who yelled her name. Running from arguments. Running from fears. Running from everything. Everything about them was... fleeting.

Don't pretend it's such a mystery

Think about the place where you first met me

Tears. There were so many tears. She was running from one problem right into another. She learned that she had a knack for making messes and not cleaning them up. Her beau had been an older man who liked her more for her appearance than her thoughts. "One dance, please?"

"I don't dance, babe. Either get me another drink or sit down," He told her as he downed his fourth glass. She took it as the chance her escape. He would be drunk enough by now that she could sneak away. She checked her purse as she walked over to the bar, relaxed when she saw her passport and driver's license, and mentally counted the bills inside. She had more than enough for a bus and plane ticket. She would have to buy new clothes wherever she ended up and then get a job. She was a quick learner, though, and kind. She could find work anywhere.

"What's a girl like you doing at the bar when you should be on the dance floor?"

Ice blue eyes.

We were jet-set, Bonnie and Clyde

Until I switched to the other side, to the other si-i-i-i-ide

"It's beautiful," She whispered as she was once again trapped in the safety of those arms. She felt his smile against her neck as they enjoyed the view from the balcony in their quiet hotel room in Italy.

"Tomorrow, we'll hike up there and have a picnic. You're going to love it, sweetheart."

There won't be a tomorrow, sweetheart. She thought as she turned her head and kissed his temple. He only wanted to make her happy, but it wasn't enough.

I'm in a getaway car

I left you in the motel bar

Put the money in a bag, and I stole the keys

That was the last time you ever saw me

Her scarf fluttered in the wind as she drove off down the coast away from her getaway driver, with ice blue eyes and a warm smile. The red-framed cat-eye sunglasses she wore hid the tears that threatened to fall as she planned her next step.