enderbros

Dream didn't set out on his little hike expecting to basically adopt a kid, but sometimes the universe assigns you the role of the older brother and you've just gotta listen to it. What else can you do?

The night is cold and dark, but Dream knows this trail like the back of his hand. Completely disregarding his (definitely god) powers, he could probably walk down it with his eyes closed and get to the end of it, the base of a large mountain, just fine. He usually goes down it to clear his head, but tonight, he's just walking to walk. A fun exercise. To take in the sights of the woods. He just runs past any mobs he encounters, not particularly feeling like swinging his arms in a fight, and things are going well until he feels something run into his side in a panic.

The man stumbles slightly, frowning -- at first, he thinks it's a baby zombie and begins to manifest his sword in his hand -- just for this one -- but then he realizes that it's much too tall for that, being up to his stomach area. They fall over with a small garble, and Dream blinks from behind his mask and lifts it up to peer at the small...child? They're definitely a child, but they don't look like any Player Dream has seen and they certainly don't look like a villager's kid.

Their face is split into two different colors, black and white, and their hair is switched. There is a too-large crown resting upon his fluffy hair, and he's in nothing but a t-shirt and shorts -- normal child wear, yes, but it's late and chilly in the forest. The child sniffs, and Dream immediately bends down, muttering a quiet, "Hey -- hey, kiddo, are you okay?"

The child -- which Dream now identifies as a boy -- looks up at him with wide, slightly confused eyes, his face stuck in a grimace of pain. It makes Dream knit his eyebrows together in concern as he continues, "I didn't mean to knock you over, I'm sorry. Are you okay? Where are your parents?"

The boy shakes his head and mutters quietly, "I can't understand him, he's not gonna listen, I need to --"

He cuts himself off by trying to jump up and run away, only managing to rise slightly before stumbling and falling over. Dream only stares in shock for a moment before shaking himself out of his stupor. He supposes he knows what the black half of the child is. Ignoring those implications (he's not the only one, he's not alone, there's another hybrid?) he delivers a forced, hushed whisper, saying, "I understand Endspeak too, where are your parents?"

The boy freezes, his brows furrowing in concentration before his face morphs into a tearful one and he starts to cry even harder, stuttering out, "I -- I can't remember, I don't know where -- I don't know who --"

Dream wastes no time in pulling the thin, shaking boy into a hug. He has no idea what's happened to him, and he frankly doesn't even care at the moment. "Shh... it's okay, it's okay, calm down, kiddo."

The boy doesn't stop crying, but it grows quieter and quieter until Dream is slightly concerned and takes a look at his face. Only then does the boy mutter out a quiet, weak, "My cheek hurts..."

Dream lets out a gasp when he realizes and frantically moves to wipe the tears off of the black side of the boy's face, first and foremost, feeling guilty when he instantly seems to relax more. He wipes the other half of his face and holds him again, his heart dropping when he realizes how thin he is. How did he not notice his clothes drooping off of his body when he first saw him? Dream has no idea how long he's been out here like this, and he seems clean and well-kept enough, but he definitely wasn't getting up to normal standards in the food department. Dream can feel his bones pressing against his own body, and his heart twists.

Dream rises to his feet with the boy in his arms, to the kid's surprise, as he lets out a garbled yelp, and Dream chuckles slightly. "Can I take you home? It's warm and I have food and me and my friends can help take care of you until we find your parents, okay?"