Fifteen

.

.

.

Levi,

I'm not sure you remember me. But you must remember [Y/N]. You left her in my care when we were children.

I recognized you the first day I saw you at the Scouts, but you aren't in her memories anymore. She forget her past due to trauma, I believe. I wanted to tell her about you, but I wasn't strong enough.

I'm sorry.

A few days ago, we lost our squad. I think now I understand how you felt that day when you lost her. If I'm gone too, she won't have anyone close enough to help her get through it. We will always be with her, but she needs time to understand it.

If I die, I feel like you would find her. Tell her who you are. If you start telling your story, she will remember. That's how humans work. Please tell her that I loved her, with my whole heart, as we all did. I believe in the Survey Corps. I believe that we can have a world without Titans.

I hope you found happiness, Levi.

Take care of her, wait for her, and she will return to you.

She will return to you, as she always did.

Benedict Reiss

.

.

.

You read the short letter over and over again with disbelief, subconsciously creasing the edge of the paper.

Levi scowls and takes it from you. He read it at least two times before handing it over to you.

"Did he tell you anything of this?" he asks.

"He didn't talk to me for a week after they died," you murmur. "He wasn't himself."

Levi nods absently, and puts away the letter into his drawer again.

He looks too lost in thoughts. You run your fingers through your hair, breathing in and out deeply.

"I didn't get answers," you whisper.

"You got a goodbye. Be grateful for it."

You look out the window and shiver, just like the wind ruffles the leaves of his flowers.

Levi sits down next to you, leaving a wide gap between your bodies.

"It was good to see you smile honestly again," he says, avoiding your gaze when you turn to him. "Tonight."

"I haven't seen you smile. Only in memories," you answer a bit sadly. He doesn't react, so you continue. "But it's okay. At least I know that if you will smile again, it will be true."

He stays silent.

"I have so many pictures now," you whisper with a smile, your jaw tense. "Pictures from the past, feelings. Even now that Benedict is gone, I recieve these little fragments. It feels like he's still with me."

"He gave you a better life than I could have," says Levi, standing up from the bed.

You obediently turn your head away to give him privacy to change from his suit.

Erwin told you that before you appeared, he never changed at night, since he could only sleep a little, usually on a chair or the sofa.

But since he spends his time with you, he changes clothes. He can't let himself get the splendidly white sheets dirty.