Sixteen

Switch

When you get home, Erwin is still up. You see the light sneaking out under the edge of his door, crawling by the floor, running over the white wall.

As you pass it and the rays find your feet, they suddenly reach up to your body and face as well.

"Are you okay?" asks the man, leaning to the side of the frame after he opens the door.

His figure casts a shadow over yours. You see his desk full of papers and sketches.

"You shouldn't work this late."

"You shouldn't fly around the city this late," he answers, pointing at the ODM gear.

"Then we both should just go to sleep."

"Where's Levi?"

"Away," you answer a bit harsher than you wanted.

The man scowls with the expression of someone who knows everything, which he usually does. Erwin smiles at you, and you cast down your eyes.

"He's not easy to understand," he says. "But that doesn't mean it's not worth to try."

For a moment, you are at the edge of telling him what happened, but you change your mind. Even though, somehow you can't leave.

The two of you stand there in complete silence for a few moments, and you think about how alone you would be without them.

Erwin sighs, and you feel his wide, warm hand on your shoulder.

"Do you want to help me?"

You bite your inner cheek, and shake your head.

"Tomorrow."

He lets you go and smiles again.

"Good night, then. But I'll be awake for a while if you want to talk."

You shiver, because the kindness in his eyes is the same that lived in Benedict's for all those years.

You take a deep breath and hug him, but it just makes you feel tiny and powerless.

He gets surprised at first, but then hugs you back, with one arm around your back, and one hand stroking your hair. He rests his chin over the top of your head.

"And where's Hange?" you murmur against his chest.

"Making a scandal somewhere, I suppose. Maybe bullying the newbies with her stories."

You smile faintly and let go of the man.

"Thank you for everything, Erwin."

"You are always welcome," he answers silently, and you lour a little.

Your Commander steps back and wishes good night once more before closing his door as you walk away.

You go to your room and take off the ODM gear, sitting down at the bed after.

You stay there for long hours, waiting for Levi to appear. You have no idea where he went, or what happened between the two of you.

You don't understand the bond that connects you to him, neither the change of it through the time. You slowly doze off in his scent that embraces you from the sheets.

.

.

.

Switch

You smile a little as you look around the kitchen. You haven't met Levi for five days now, but the others still swarm around you, so you don't feel let down.