Seventeen

Switch

Not much changed after that day, at least not on the outside. Levi remained as reticent as always, but he moves much calmer around the house when you are at home.

His muscles relax, his expressions soften whenever he stays near you.

He spends most of his time with his squad, while you stick around and help Erwin as much as you can.

Only the evenings and the nights remain for the two of you, as before.

Even though he still can't sleep more than a few hours, he remains by your side.

At least he's not bothered anymore whether you are awake or not. The walls slowly crash down as both of you learn to live with the past.

Now, you are sitting beside him on the bed, watching the sky through the open window.

The mild breeze strokes your skin. He is reading a few papers with Erwin's splendid handwriting, only messy at a few places when he hurried with it.

The letters drawing out curves knotted like a tree's roots.

With his free hand, he gently draws patterns on your back over the nightgown, sometimes brushing away a wandering lock of hair that flies from the wind.

You separate your gaze from the sky and turn back, laying down next to him, watching the candle's light forming shadows above his skin.

Levi looks at you for a moment before turning back to the paper.

"We're going on an expedition past Wall Rose," he says silently, with a voice so warm as the tone of his hair that the fire's rays paint.

Now it rather seems to be a very dark brown, than black as her mother's was.

"When?"

"A few days."

You sit up again, and curl around his arm as you did when you were a child. He takes a deep breath, and you continue worriedly.

"How long?"

"Depends."

You fall back to your thoughts, resting your cheek over his shoulder.

He puts away Erwin's plans and turns towards you, hugging you carefully. You push your forehead against his, taking from the air that leaves his lips.

You want to say that you are sure he will come back, but there is no such a sure thing in this world, so you rather stay silent.

He probably knows what you are thinking, after both of you have seen many comrades making empty promises.

"I'm ordered to Trost District," you answer, caressing his forearm. "To meet the newbies."

"Erwin has huge hopes for those brats," says the man. "I've been told there are talented ones."

"Do you have hope too?"

He bethinks for a minute before nodding slowly, his hand brushing over your hair.

Your heart beats slightly faster, and he notices it from the pulsing of your veins.

Levi leans forward, and kisses you tenderly. You stop the trembling of your hand and nestle closer to his chest.

A few minutes pass, and the kiss deepens, his hand slid to your waist, yours to his neck, then to his back.

He recoils, and a hint of pain deforms his features for a second. He creates some distance between the two of you, his breath shaking a little.

"I can't. I'm sorry," he whispers.