The Scream (9)

Avneet sighed deeply and leaned back in the easy chair by her bed.

---

**Avneet's POV:**

"I can't handle this pressure anymore! First, these murders and now Siddharth. God, give me strength! I want to stop these killings of innocent girls and keep Siddharth happy. Please!"

Her phone rang again. She picked it up.

"Yes?" Avneet answered.

"It's Abhishek. I wanted to let you know that Riyaz has regained consciousness. He's stable now. The doctor said we can interrogate him."

"Do I need to come?" Avneet asked.

"Yes, ACP ma'am has insisted that both of us be there," Abhishek replied.

"Abhishek, don't you think that serving our country all day makes us forget about ourselves? We are human beings too, but we don't get a single moment for ourselves!" Avneet vented.

"Seems like you're in a bad mood?" Abhishek observed.

Avneet sobbed, "I'm exhausted, Abhishek! I want to spend time with Siddharth! Phone calls aren't enough. He needs me!"

"Avneet, are you crying? Oh God! Look, it's our duty. Please come soon, or ACP ma'am will have our heads."

"Abhishek! You don't understand anything! I remember when our bond started growing, you told me you would always be there for me like an older brother. But now, you..." Avneet's voice trailed off.

"Avneet... What can I do? Do you want me to forget my people? Forget my country? I also love someone! You know that Vaishnavi complains every day that I don't spend time with her. But Avneet, I'm helpless! We all are. I know you're tired of handling everything, but duty comes first, my sister!"

Avneet sighed and then smiled. "Yes, you're right, Abhishek... Dada."

Abhishek's voice brightened, "What? What did you call me?"

"Dada," Avneet repeated.

"Thank you, Avneet, my little sister."

"I'm coming soon! Just wait!" Avneet said.

She arrived at the hospital.

---

The ACP saw her. "You're late, officer!"

"Ma'am, only forty-five seconds late!" Avneet defended herself.

"You know that the whole world can change in those forty-five seconds!" the ACP retorted.

"Sorry, ma'am! I was a little disturbed," Avneet explained.

"Really? Stop giving me these excuses! Be on time from now on, or..." Aditi was about to continue but stopped herself. She sighed and walked toward Riyaz's ward. Abhishek and Avneet followed her.

---

"Riyaz, how are you now?" Abhishek asked.

"I'm okay. Sir, please tell me, who killed my Anu? Who?" Riyaz pleaded.

"We are trying to find out," the ACP said.

"Please, ma'am, don't spare that monster!" Riyaz implored.

"Calm down. We won't," Avneet assured him.

"Why didn't you go to college today?" the ACP asked.

"I just didn't feel like going," Riyaz replied.

"I see. Was everything alright between you two?" Avneet asked.

"Yes, everything was fine. But we hadn't talked for a few days," Riyaz admitted.

"Why?" Abhishek inquired.

"We had a fight, but it wasn't serious. We always argue and then start talking again after a few days."

"Anything mysterious?" Abhishek pressed.

"Yes, I remember. During our fight, someone was standing outside the door. Anu felt it, but we ignored it, thinking it might be a friend," Riyaz recalled.

"Did anyone come to Anushka's room in the past few days?" Avneet asked.

"Jannat often visited her room, and then her friends like Ashnoor, Surabhi, Samriddhi, Rohan, me, and a few others," Riyaz listed. "Oh, yeah! Ayaan came the day before yesterday!"

"Who is Ayaan? Her friend?" Avneet queried.

"No, he's Jannat's brother. But Anushka and Ayaan shared a very good brother-sister bond. Very good!" Riyaz clarified.

"Hmmm... Where is Ayaan now?" Abhishek asked.

"He might be at home. He doesn't know about all this yet," Riyaz responded.

"I see. Okay, take rest and get well soon," Avneet said.

---

The officers stepped out of the ward.

"We've got some new information... Ayaan! Ayaan!" Abhishek exclaimed.

"Yes, we must meet him," Avneet agreed.

"Avneet, you can go home," the ACP said.

Avneet was taken aback. "Ma'am? I am sorry..."

The ACP smiled. "I'm not angry, dear. Abhishek and I will go meet Ayaan. You can go."

"Are you sure you're not angry?" Avneet asked, still surprised.

"Yes, you look disturbed. You need some rest. I can understand," the ACP reassured her.

Avneet looked at Abhishek, who smiled and gestured for her to go.

Avneet smiled, "Thank you so much, ma'am!"

---

Avneet knew exactly where she wanted to go. She headed straight to Siddharth's hostel. As she was about to knock on Siddharth's door, she suddenly heard a loud scream from inside his room.