13

i stood over the edge, watching the waves come and go like a fight between a mouse and a cat. the water always coming to chase the sand, only to fail, but never the enough reason for it to stop and rest for a while.

the sound of steps behind me pulled me away from my thoughts and made me register on where i really was.

i busied my fingers again, twisting and pulling my ring that is placed on my right hand.

i twisted it again, now paying attention to the engraved initials and date,

"C & N | 4-12-22"

i stepped back, the small rocks crunching and slipping as i do so.

putting my hands on my pocket, i walked away. finding no reason to stay when there was no silhouette holding a camera, sitting as he watches the sky.

i looked behind my back as a way to say a final goodbye and met eyes with the person whom i expected the least to see here.

we stared at each other, neither of us showing a sign of eagerness to break the eye contact.

as the world turns, the moon replacing the sun, clouds going away or clustering to try and hide the beauty of a thousand of stars that are galaxies away from us — i heard the memory i had saved from a year ago.

"i miss you."

i stared at you and blinked, only to find out there was no one looking at me anymore once i opened my eyes.

i continued to walk away and ponder.

what would have happened, or how would you feel, if i told you i loved you?