CHAPTER 6

After I had a long arguing match with my mother, I surprisingly managed to convince her to let me stay in the apartment. All I had to do was have scheduled call check ups and visit every 2 days in addition to our nightly text messages. So in all everything was actually alright.

I decided to get ready for bed. Maybe the next day would be better.

🐭🐭🐭

When I saw Jade the next morning, I knew she would get in trouble but I kept following her.

When people started taking pictures as she walked into school, I knew the news would spread fast but still I stuck with her.

When we saw one of our teachers making a bee-line towards us, I knew that the situation would become a serious problem. Even still I got ready to face the problem.

I'm an amazing friend.

MISS OBASEME! WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?!

Who is generally not listened to.

That morning Jade had shown up in a matching green and red two piece Ankara. The top was sort of like a sleeveless crop top. The lower piece was a long skirt that showed off Jades long legs.

In one word she looked amazing. The boys openly staring at her like dogs would gladly agree with that fact. I was honestly skeptical when I saw her and told her she would likely get in trouble but she said I worried too much. When I asked her why she wanted to wear it all of a sudden she simply looked at me and said "It's my body and my choice. I dress for myself not for anyone else"

"Wow. I guess I can see your reasoning"

'Thanks, it's also because I accidentally knocked coffee on my clothes this morning and this was the best thing I found," she shrugged as we walked towards my car.

Ah typical.

"Plus, I promised my grandmother I'd wear it one of these days so nows a great time,"

Sighing, we both turned to the fuming teacher heading straight for us.

Miss Reagan stormed up to us, pushing away students who were in her path with a nasty glare. She was definetly the strictest teacher we had with a serious temper to match.

Standing in front of us, she gave Jade an open look of disgust. She and Jade had butt heads before so this wasn't new to anyone but when she discovered that Jade had no intention of backing down the first time, it was like she personally took it upon herself to punish Jade where ever she could.

"This is a learning institution! What do you think you are wearing young lady?!"

"It's called an Ankara. Its a major part of African culture. MY culture" she said

"But It's indecent" she screamed "If you want to dress like that feel free to do that where ever you came from but not here young lady'

"It's a part of my heritage. Where does it say I cant wear this in the school dress code?"

"Over here!!!" she said pointing to a picture of a girl wearing a crop top.

Did she just happen to have that on her?

"I see a picture of a crop top. There's nothing here about an Ankara, is there?" she said "I can't believe you are trying to suppress my individuality" Jade scoffed

"The nerve of this lady" Jade said turning to me "Maybe if you dressed a bit like me, we still wouldn't be calling you MISS Reagan"

Oh boy