The Lost Soldier

The next morning, the spies felt refreshed after a good night's rest, and were currently sitting at a table at the Mali-U cafe, enjoying some steaming hot cups of delicious coffee.

"Ahh, that's better," said Britney as she finished her latte. "I sure needed that."

"I don't know what's more exhausting. Superheroing or studying!" commented Alex.

"Good thing we've no lessons for the day," smiled Clover. "I say we hit the beach today!"

"Uh, sorry to shoot down that suggestion, Clover," said Sam, her expression turning tense all of a sudden. "But my spider-sense is tingling slightly. Which means we're either about to be attacked, or..."

"Or we're about to be woohped!" groaned Alex wearily.

Sure enough, the floor opened up beneath their feet and the four superspies were sent tumbling down a long chute which deposited them onto the red sofa in Jerry's office.

"Good morning, superspies," said Jerry cheerfully from behind his desk.

"It was until just now," grumbled Clover.

"What's up, Jerry?" asked Britney. "We barely had time to rest up after the last mission."

"Yes, I'm sorry to call you up again so soon," said Jerry apologetically. "But I've just received a rather unusual request from Doctor Erik Selvig in the arctic."

"Huh? The renowned astrophysicist?" said Sam in surprise, recalling how the spies had once met the scientist whilst investigating a strange hammer in New Mexico. "What's he doing in the arctic?"

"Investigating a rather strange energy source that he and his team detected a few weeks ago," explained Jerry. "He would not say what it was he has discovered, but he's asked for WOOHP to send a security team. And he also wants someone expert in handling superpowers."

"That sounds pretty anonymous," remarked Alex.

"Indeed," agreed Jerry. "Which is why I'd like you girls to go there and find out what all this is about."

"No sweat, Jerr," said Sam, as she, Clover and Alex activated the instant suit function on their compowders and changed their everyday clothes into their superspy uniforms.

"Yeah, we'll check it out okay," added Britney as she pressed a button on her own compowder, which activated the inbuilt nanotechnology of her Rescue armour, which emerged from the compowder and formed itself around Britney's entire body.

"Excellent," replied Jerry. "It'll take a few hours for the security team to be fully ready, so you girls will set on ahead in the Quinjet that Tony's built. He's made some modifications to the engines, so you'll be able to reach the Arctic in even less time than before."

"Awesome!" grinned Clover. "What will Tony think of next for our WOOHP arsenal?"

"Well he did have an idea for an A.I. peacekeeping program," said Jerry. "But after the fiasco with the Protection Droid program last year, he's decided to scrap the whole thing in case that went out of control too."