vii - crashed

Weeks had already passed since Anya started living at Air Temple Island, and it hadn't been too eventful. Sometimes, she would play hide and seek with the kids, or they would show her how an air scooter works. Sometimes, she would spar lightly with Korra or swap a story or two with Bumi. She hadn't heard from Ping in weeks, but she wasn't sure that she minded.

Korra couldn't have too many healing sessions with Anya (avatar duties and whatnot), so she had asked Kya to take over when she wasn't available.

Anya liked Kya. The two clicked, despite being very different people. Kya would often think out loud, making their time together interesting without getting too personal. It was nice, not having to have her guard up all the time.

She was able to leave the sling off, eventually, and being able to move freely now felt like a privilege.
At one point she had seen Korra leave with her friends, but she's never been invited to join. It was okay, she had opened up to Anya a bit more since their "date night" a month ago. It wasn't really a date, but Anya liked thinking about it that way. Especially given the way Korra's fingers felt on her skin.

Right now, Anya's closest friends are a couple of airbending kids, her dad's old coworker, and a woman three times her age. Somehow...she was okay with that.

-o-

That night, Korra hadn't come back. She was staying over with her friend Asami. Asami Sato, head of Future Industries. Figures the avatar would have powerful friends, but the stories Anya heard about her aren't what she'd expected. Jinora had given a small rundown on all of the avatar's friends.

"Asami's really smart, and she's so nice. She lived here for a little bit after her dad got caught up with the Equalists. And Mako and Bolin, they met when Korra joined their pro bending team. They were really good, but they haven't really played since Amon attacked the tournament."

Anya doesn't respond for a moment. She's too busy thinking about her own experiences around the Equalists, and how different her life was from Korra's and her friends'. She shakes her head a bit and sighs.

"Do you like pro bending, Jin?"

"Not really, it's fun to listen to but I don't really like seeing people hurt each other," she definitely had her mother's kindness and the airbenders' mindset.

The brief conversation is interrupted by a screaming Ikki.

"Guys! Guys!"

"What is it, Ikki?" Anya asks, a little alarmed at Ikki's urgency, normally driven by energy but this time holding a lot more panic.

"Korra is here! Something happened!"

Anya and Jinora look at each other before rushing over to the docks.

-o-

Korra was carrying her friend Mako off the ferry when the three girls arrived.

"Ikki, go get your Aunt Kya." Anya quietly instructs. An air ball is formed and Ikki is gone in a flash.

"Where's Kya?" Asks Korra with heavy breaths.

"She's inside, Ikki's getting her. What happened?" Anya looks over what she can see of the man in Korra's arms, the road rash and pieces of glass only the beginning of what she's sure is a lot worse when he's not half covered by Korra's carrying position.

"He fell off his bike in a chase."

"A chase?"

"Yeah, Mako's a cop."

Ah, so that's why he looked familiar.

Once inside, Korra is about to set him on a chair, but Anya insists he needs to be on a flat surface, "Elevate his feet. He's not unconscious, but he's not being this quiet for no reason." Shock. That was the only way he wasn't at least breathing more heavily.