Toriyomi - Carnival

"Look, Nikei!" Teruya exclaimed, looking at a newspaper advertisement next to Nikei's newest article. "The carnival is coming to town! We should go, it's been ages since I've been!"

"Huh, I've never been to a carnival though," Nikei remarked half-heartedly. "But it's noisy and crowded with loons, there are accidents just waiting to happen at the poorly-made ones."

"You know what happens when you assume things," Teruya scolded. "You should at least try them out, it'll be fun of you give them a chance!"

"Will they? Will they really?" Nikei sighed and checked his calendar. "Well, if it's still here on Tuesday, my schedule's clear then. We'll go to the carnival."

"Yay!" the merchant exclaimed, clapping his hands slightly.

A few days later, Teruya and Nikei made their way down to the carnival to play there for a day. When they arrived and payed for their tickets, they looked around for a bit before deciding to go to one of the attractions.

"This shouldn't be too hardcore," Nikei muttered as Teruya helped him onto a merry-go-round horse before the merchant got on one himself. The speed that the attraction went around was quicker than he expected, and he held on as Teruya laughed at the fun he was having.

After they left the carousel from hell, they went to a water gun game, where the first to fill up the balloon with water wins. Although Teruya was strong and could move the guns a little easier, Nikei had very good aim and managed to win the game. He got a large tiger plushie and refused to let Teruya touch it.

Next was the teacup ride, which had Nikei pressed against Teruya as the cups whirled about and gained momentum. By the time it ended, Nikei was dizzy and hungry, so Teruya took him to get some blooming onions and ate them with him. After that was finished, they decided to head over to the nearby dunk tank.

"See, Nikei? I told you the carnival would be fun to go to!" Teruya chirped, not noticing how close the two of them were getting to a lantern with an open flame. Unfortunately for the merchant, a spark of that caught to his hair. Because Teruya's hair was slicked up with gel, especially for the spike, his hair caught on fire.

"Oh fuck!" Nikei exclaimed as Teruya started screaming and shrieking out profanities in a western accent while running around. The journalist looked around for anything to douse the fire, and he noticed a bucket full of water nearby. He quickly grabbed it and ran past the gathering crowd and towards Teruya. "Stay still!" he yelled, throwing the water onto the merchant.

Fortunately for them, the fire was quickly doused, though Teruya had singed hair and a sore head. "Oh, thank god. I thought I was gonna need an ambulance," the taller man sighed in relief. "Thanks for that."

"So, what were you saying about the carnival? I don't think that karma heard you loud enough," Nikei joked, nudging Teruya with the bucket. 

The merchant rolled his eyes, then noticed the ground. "Hey, I don't think the amount of water on the ground matches the amount you threw on me. And the water is running..." he observed.

His eyes drifted to where the running water was coming from, and they widened when he saw that they were coming from a dunk tank, and the bucket had been slowing down a leak until it could be refilled.

All of a sudden, the person in the tank was dunked, but ended up injuring their tailbone when they fell into low water. When people looked for the cause and saw Teruya doused with Nikei holding the bucket, they ended up getting taken into custody by the police that arrived with the ambulance.

After some interrogation over half an hour, the police deemed that the situation wasn't either of their faults due to both the open fire and the unfixed leak being unsafe in the middle of the carnival. The carnival would face charges for this, but no charges were pressed against Nikei and Teruya.

However, because they had come to the carnival using a train, they had to call someone using a payphone thanks to Nikei leaving his phone at home and Teruya's phone on the fritz thanks to the water. Because Nikei often called Mikado in the middle of the night for the sole purpose of bothering him, he knew the wizard's number by heart and called him.

""Puhahahaha! That's what happened there?!" Mikado howled with laughter after Nikei told him what happened. "Oh my god, you should have taken me with you! I wish I could've seen it in person!"

"Shut up! We just need a ride home!" Nikei exclaimed over the wizard's amusement.

"Okay, okay. I'll pick you two up, I should be there in about...google maps says half an hour! See you then!" Mikado told him, then hung up.

As Nikei put the phone back onto its holder, he looked at Teruya and grumbled, "I told you so."