4. "I'm A Light Sleeper"

I groaned as I woke up but I kept my eyes closed. I knew it was dark wherever I was but I still was afraid that the light was going to be there shining in my face.

After about 10 minutes I finally opened my eyes and looked around the almost pitch black room. Enid's room. I sat up and scrunched up my nose. My face felt weird and stiff so I rubbed it. Tear stains. I groaned loudly and took one of Enid's many pillows and flicked it across the room slamming myself back down on the bed.

I have to face him today. I thought. I can't be a coward. I sighed getting off the bed and exiting Enid's room.

"Enid?" I looked in the spare bedrooms funding them empty so I headed for the stairs. "Enid?!" I called a little louder. I entered the kitchen and looked around. No Enid but there was a piece of paper on the counter.

Lexi,

I went out. You know where. I'll see you when I get back.

Enid.

Sighing I headed back upstairs and found my shoes that were laid neatly on the floor next to the bed. I jogged back downstairs almost slipping in the bottom step but I caught my balance and tried to control my shaky breath. I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my penny board. I exited the house firmly shutting the door behind me.

I suddenly remembered Enid's note. Deanna can't find it. She'll know and we will all be in a lot of trouble. I ran back inside and grabbed the note stuffing it in my pocket. I ran back outside and shut the door once again.

I road down the street and I stared at the house Rick and his group was staying in. I saw Rick, Daryl and Carol on the front porch. I smiled and waved as they saw me. They smiled back and I continued down the road.

My house came into view which made my lips twitch up but I kept a straight face.

Walking into my house I shut the door but kept it unlocked. I assumed Carl had left but I wasn't one-hundred percent sure.

I laid my penny board quietly on the floor and with light footsteps walked to the living room. I peeked around the wall and saw a lump of blanket on my couch.

I walked quietly to the stairs trying to make as less noise as possible. I walked into my room closing the door quietly. I winced as the floor creaked as I went to my closet. I looked up at the covered hole in the top of my closet. The attic. I grabbed my chair and stood on top of it pushing the cover out of the way. I felt around for a bit before my hand landed on the box. I took it down and opened it. The silver handgun, fully loaded lay there shining. I picked it up and put the box back into the attic and covering the hole again. I took a deep breath before turning off the safety and walking out of my bedroom.

I slowly and quietly made my way downstairs. As I was about to turn to my left and go to the living room a body slammed itself against mine.

"I'm a light sleeper." Carl said as we wrestled each other. I punched Carl in the face knocking him off me. I went for the gun but my ankle was grabbed and I was pulled back.

I rolled on my back as Carl got on top of me. I kicked his legs trying to prevent him from sitting on me but I failed and he sat square on my stomach. The weight made it hard to breath but I didn't care. Carl had me totally pinned. His legs trapped my arms to my sides.

"You're stronger now. You're not a little girl anymore. But newsflash, I'm not a little boy anymore." Carl smirked and stared at me. I gave him my best dirty look which made him smile even more.

"Get off me. God you weigh a ton." I groaned. Carl looked up behind me and reached over. His 'thang' was in my face but I paid no attention. I looked away actually. I took this time to make my escape. I flung my knee up hitting Carl in his 'thang' which made him fall over. I almost laughed as a wave of déjà vu washed over me, almost. I quickly tackled Carl pinning him myself.

"Why do you care about me so much?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"You're my friend, or at least you were." Carl said sadly.

"You don't know me anymore Carl. I'm not the little girl I use to be. This world changed me and not in a good way." I said firmly trying to get the message across. Carl looked at a loss for words so I continued. "You have your dad, a new baby sister and an entire group. I have nothing. I don't fit in in this community. My family's dead." I said angrily.

"I'm sorry..." Carl said sadly looking away from me.

"Sorry won't bring my family back. Now get out!" I said harshly getting off him and grabbing my gun.

Carl without a word got up and left. I ran a hand through my hair turning the safety back on on my gun and I laid it on the coffee table. I walked to the kitchen and opened the cupboard under the sink relieved that my vodka was still there.

I opened another cupboard over the stove and took out a shot glass.

I'm getting drunk.