Taken

Michael's POV:

"You've asked for my presence, high consort."

Virginia smiled as I entered, motioning to the chair in front of her. "Please sit." She insisted. "I've had my maid brew us some tea."

I watched her graceful movements, still a bit hesitant to be in this position. I haven't been alone with her since all of those years ago, when I was accused of trying to elicit an affair with her, which in actuality it was a simple kiss, a momentary lapse in judgement on my end. I've pushed those feelings away the moment I was banished, and seeing how Virginia has flourished after decades in exile, was a great site to see.

In certain moments, I can see Virginia in Neveah, but Neveah's beauty is even more beyond compare. She's the most perfect woman in the world, and I'd be a fool to let her go, even if fate deems her with another.

Virginia handed me a cup of tea. "I called you here to speak about my daughter."

I raised a brow. "What about her?"

She smiled. "Well, I can certainly tell you love her, and this new clan you've build yourself. However, I've always been a firm believer in fate, and it's quite rare for fate to bless you with two distinctly different matches. I'm sure my poor daughter is so torn up about it."

What is she getting at?

"You think she's better off with Kristen," I stated.

A small smile graced Virginia's lips. "I'm not sure who she's better off with. I simply believe she should be able to test the waters in a relationship she never gave a chance. If she's really meant to be with you, you should give her the opportunity to explore with Kristen, so she can really make her own choice. He seems changed from the careless Alpha I've heard he was when he met my daughter."

Anger flooded my veins. How dare Virginia suggest Neveah start a new relationship with Kristen when we're perfectly happy. I know Kristen in close proximity engages the bond to push them together, but he's needed to protect Neveah and Alexander if I can't in this war, and no more. He will not be replacing me in my own family. This is outrageous.

"I can't believe this. You brought me here to tell me I need to let her go? You're insane. I'm not doing that," I stated, standing up.

Before I walked out the door, her voice called behind me. "Michael, think about it. Do you wish for her to regret not being with her mate? At least for the duration of his life. You're a vampire, she's a vampire, your son is a vampire. Spending a few years at Kristen's side knowing she loved him, and has you to support her as he leaves her and for eternity. Everyone wins."

A breath I didn't know I was holding escaped my chest. "No, we won't. Watching her love another will break my soul, I can't do it. Even if she comes back to me after loving him, I don't think I can forgive her for breaking my heart."

Without another word, I left Virginia's chambers. There's no way I could let Neveah leave our family, our life, for him, and then come back after he's dead. I couldn't see her love someone that wasn't me, and I don't think I could handle seeing them be a perfect family with my son, there's just no way.

I walked back to our chambers, all these thoughts flooding my brain. Neveah sat inside, watching Alexander play on the floor with a few toys. She smiled at everything he does, cooing at him in praise. This is my family, and I will always fight for it, even if it's against Kristen.

She glanced up as I entered. "There you are. When we came back from our walk you weren't here." She placed a sweet kiss on my lips. Her arms wrapped around my neck as she smiled at me. "I think with everything going on we should do something special tonight."